Thursday, October 29, 2009

the UK 100




There have been a lot of local versions of the Vegan 100 list floating around- for example, the NYC 100 and the Portland 100. I've wanted to play along, but there is no Syracuse 100! So instead, I decided to take this UK 100 list posted by Liz and try my hand at it- after all, I did live in England for a few months! I'm curious to see how I do. If you've lived in the UK, or have visited, or are just an Anglophile (Britophile?), why not play along?

Your mission, should you choose to accept it:
1) Copy this list into your own blog, including these instructions.

2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.

3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.

4) Post a comment here once you’ve finished and link your post back to this one.
5) Pass it on!




All items on the list refer to the vegan version.
Please don’t contact me to tell me that butter isn’t vegan, for example. I mean a vegan version of it!

Hampshire watercress

Haggis

Montezumas chocolate

Melting mozarella Cheezly

Tartex


Granose Mock Duck
Sosmix

Churros at Terre a Terre

Yorkshire pudding

Beans on toast

Crumpets

Mushy peas

Aldi croissants
Bourbon biscuits

Holland and Barrett fruit flapjacks
Linda McCartney sausages and chips

Marmite on toast

Kent black cherries

Marmite breadsticks
(If Marmite crackers count...)
Beanfeast

Sunday roast at The George (hey! what about the Elvis Burger at the George??)
Anything at Birmingham’s curry mile
Rhubarb crumble with Swedish Glace
Paskin’s full breakfast

Jersey Royal potatoes swimming in butter

Evesham asparagus

Potato farls

Bubble and Squeak

Sticky toffee pudding

Irn Bru

Bacon buttie with tomato sauce
Marigold bouillon powder

Booja Booja truffles

Scones and jam
Bird’s custard
(I still have a huge container of it here at home!)
Anything at Dandelion and Burdock

White chocolate

A bought pizza with cheese in the UK

Hot cross buns

Staffordshire oatcakes

Bread and butter pudding

Summer pudding

Pickled onions

Potato from the Baked Potato Shop in Edinburgh
Weatherspoons curry

Irish stew with dumplings

Mashed carrot and swede
(mmm... somehow, roast root veggies taste better in the UK!)
Pease pudding

Christmas pudding

Cranachan
Blue Sheese

Faggots

English muffins

Pringles
Scotch broth

Walker’s prawn cocktail crisps (I miss these!)
Mildred’s mushroom and ale pie

Masala dosa

Realeat fishcakes


Worcestershire sauce
Mushroom ketchup

Pickled walnuts (I have a jar of these at home, but haven't opened them yet)

Ribena
Anything at Vbites
Co-op donuts
Picalilli
(and brought some jars back- yum!)
Ryvita

Anything at Saf

Chip shop curry sauce and chips
Parmezano
Warehouse Café bangers and mash

Innocent Smoothie

Vimto
Eccles cake
Semolina pudding with jam

Linda McCartney country pie
Scallop (potato fritter)
Elderflower cordial

Spotted dick

Victoria plum

Marigold braised tofu
Clive’s pie

Wagamama Yasai Chilli Men

Sarsaparilla
(this is British???)
Spring cabbage
Holland and Barrett Porkless Pie

Henderson’s relish

Scottish raspberries

Scouse

Colcannon

Fry’s Peppermint Cream

Hobnobs

Roast parsnips

Booja Booja ice cream (could not afford this!)

Champ

Pimms
(mmmmm)
Rice pudding

Nuttolene
Beef and Tomato Pot Noodle
Sesame Snaps

37... not bad, eh? This just proves that I need to come back to the UK soon! Anyone wanna buy me tickets???


Share/Save/Bookmark

9 comments:

Carlota said...

really cool! I just made a brazilian vegan food list after seeing this post!

Unknown said...

Nice! I haven't heard of much of this =P

But second that mmmmm on Pimms for me :)

Anonymous said...

Those are Redwood fish things not realeat which are miles nicer, but I'll let you off!

KathyF said...

Hobnobs roast parsnips? Are those two separate things? Or is there a Parsnip Flavour Hobnob?!

I'm thinking of making a parsnip cake this weekend.

bazu said...

KathyF- sorry, typo! Fixed... I don't know how I'd feel about parsnip hobnobs...

Anonymous said...

Forty - but I have eaten way more in the non-vegan versions, since I was omni most the time I lived in the UK. Others I had homemade but not at the restaurants mentioned here.

Now I am hungry for roast parsnips!

Flore said...

It looks delicious - yummy!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I've had 2 you hadn't- Frys Peppermint Cream & Booja Booja ice cream (you didn't miss out), but most I haven't had!
I'll be back in the UK in March, if all goes well, maybe this list should come with me!

blu-ray dvd said...

I love your photos! :)