Saturday, October 17, 2009

apples apples apples!






Daiku and I have guests over at our house quite often. And Autumn is a very fun time to have guests, because we live smack dab in the middle of apple country! So on a nice Sunday recently, we took our friend and guest Julian out to pick some apples.



She had fun!



We had fun!



and, for under $15, we came home with enough apples to make into 2 jars of apple butter, 2 full-sized and 4 hand-sized pies, and juice, with enough left over for some serious snacking.

What are some other mofo-ers doing with apples this month? Head over to my apple round-up over on VeganMoFo Headquarters for a sampling.


Share/Save/Bookmark

7 comments:

BrisVegan said...

I am deeply envious of your apple picking possibilities. My area is too hot for either apples or berries.

I can only imagine how good your super fresh apples are.

Amey said...

oh man, our apple tree is having a CRAZY BIG crop this year - so many apples. They are a bit late fruiting, but soon I"ll be making pies and apple sauce 'til the cows come home. Moooo!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Wow that's a whole lot of apples, next time I come to Syracuse we have to go fruit picking!

celine said...

apples! my favorite. I'm dying to go pick my own, lack of car be damned.

Kristi Oliveira said...

Can you share your apple butter recipe?

bazu said...

Kristi- I didn't use a particular recipe, I just peeled and cut up enough apples to mostly fill up my crock pot, added a bunch of sugar and spices (cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice), and let it cook on high in the slow cooker for a few hours and then on low for about 20 hours more. The house smelled great! You can decide how long to cook the butter based on how thick/concentrated you want it.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I am dying to go apple picking!