Ok. I'm exhausted. I just came home from giving a talk about surrealism. Dinner was some garbanzo beans doused with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and Trader Joe's "21 seasoning salute"... let's just say I'm not in a very bloggy place right now!
Well, I am grateful that Mary, over at Pickled Treats Last Longer posted this survey on her blog this past week, because it gives me a built-in blog post, so I can keep up with VeganMoFo even though I'm barely conscious. Yay!
Those of you who have the "
1. Favorite non-dairy milk? Soymilk- nothing has the body and texture of soymilk. You can cook with it, bake with it, and foam it up all fancy. Silk chocolate milk is a latter day miracle.
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook? I want to try Village Vegan's chocolate bread, Veganomicon chickpea cutlets, and Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan Moroccan Phyllo rolls
3. Topping of choice for popcorn? We call it hippie popcorn: nutritional yeast, Bragg's, maybe a bit of garlic powder. Funnily, I think Bragg's Liquid Aminos is totally overrated, and I pretty much only use it for popcorn!
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure? I tried some frikkeh (smoked bulgur) - and gagged. It tastes like pantaloons! I still have the box and as much as I hate wasting food, I can't bring myself to try it again.
5. Favorite pickled item? How could I pick one!?! (This is Mary's answer and I totally agree) I will have anything as long as it's pickled. I guess a really super duper sour dill pickle or sauerkraut or homemade pickled beets... or cabbage? It's hard to choose!
6. How do you organize your recipes? I don't! Currently, there are about a thousand recipes I want to try. Sometimes I write them down, sometimes I bookmark the recipes, but clearly, I need a better system!
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal? We have trash. I'd love to move onto composting very soon, though. As it is, we generate very little trash compared to what I see in other households- we only use our weekly trash pickup service every other or every third week.
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods...what would they be (don't worry about how you'll cook them)? Medium grain brown rice, pomegranates, fresh cherries.
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood? Grandma's cooking. Smelling herbs as she chopped them- to this day, a whiff of freshly chopped cilantro makes me swoon.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream? There's no one brand- I like Purely Decadent pecan praline, Temptation cookie dough, Tofutti Cutie ice cream sandwiches. Purely Decadent has a chocolate/banana flavor that I would love to try. And of course there's Wheeler's Black Label... please let them branch out to central NY!
11. Most loved kitchen appliance? This is a toughie. It's a toss-up between pressure cooker, Magic Bullet, little frother... but then would I be taking my oven and stove and stand mixer and refrigerator for granted?
12. Spice/herb you would die without? Bazu: fresh basil and tarragon Daiku: chili powder and cumin
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time? This is a very sad question for me, because Daiku and I lost a large box of cookbooks during a move from Florida a few years ago. These included antiques (a very old edition of Escoffier!) gifts (including my first vegan cookbook that my friend had given me when I first went vegan 10 years ago! It was "Vegan Cooking" by Eva Batts.) Funny story: when Daiku and I first started dating, I noticed he had the same Eva Batts book- it was fate! So most of our cookbooks are fairly new. I do collect cheesy vintage cookbooks though, but those deserve their own post!
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly? Apricot for those yellow/orange days, sour cherry for those red/purple days.
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend? cupcakes! edited 11/15: vegan pancakes are pretty stunning, too.
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh? tempeh - I like tofu and I'm ok with seitan, but tempeh is in a class all its own
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)? brunch, by far! followed closely by breakfast. I'm also partial to "second breakfast," that meal you eat an hour or so after your virtuous, healthy breakfast failed to satisfy you.
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator? Nothing- there's no room, since there's a cabinet right above it.
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking. phyllo dough, bits of leftover biscuit dough to use for dumplings, lima beans.
20. What's on your grocery list? Right now, a thanksgiving menu is beginning to take shape. But that's a surprise.
21. Favorite grocery store? Greenstar Co-op in Ithaca. I feel like I'm cheating on the Syracuse Co-op by saying this, but Greenstar is like my mothership!
22. Name a recipe you'd love to veganize, but haven't yet. not really a recipe, but my #1 missed food: cottage cheese
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa's because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3? This is way too hard to narrow down to 1 or 3! If I leave comments on your blog, it means I love you!
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate? sour patch kids.
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately? last month in Ithaca, I bought little bits of maple sugar and date sugar. They were $8.99/lb. and $6.99/lb. respectively, so I've barely used them!
26. Veganaise or Nayonaise? Veganaise! No question there!
27. What is one recipe or ingredient or cooking technique that you've become familiar with in the last year that you can't imagine you ever lived without?
Sourdough starter!! (Could you tell this was Bazu's contribution to the survey?)
28. Make up your own question to put here (and answer it!)