Wednesday, November 14, 2007

tofu scramble makes the world go 'round




I don't know what it is about VeganMoFo, but it makes you kinda confessional, doesn't it? I mean, it does me! So I confess to you, dear readers, I am blogging whilst drunk. That's right. Typing a single sentence is taking all I have (thank the heavens for spell check!). See, under normal circumstances, I would just do the right thing and go to bed. But it's VeganMoFo and sober or not, I'm going to attempt to write!

I've had this photo for a long time. Since August, in fact. Fellow bloggers probably know the feeling- you eat something good, you take a good photo of it, you totally have the best intentions to blog about it... but then life happens. Photos build up, events take place, and before you know it, you don't know if said photo is blog-worthy any more. I mean, tofu scramble? All my vegan friends already know about it! What can I possibly say?

This is where VeganMoFo comes in- this is a chance to revisit the basics. Tofu scramble is a thing of beauty, an object of affection, a basic building block of any balanced vegan diet. I remember when I first read about the concept of tofu scramble a few years ago. Tofu, with some veggies and spices, with a little turmeric to color it yellow as a substitute for eggs... it just makes so much sense, right? Eggs are protein, tofu is protein. Scrambled eggs are chunky and savory, tofu scramble has basically the same texture. Somehow, tofu makes vegan life just a little easier- and more delicious!

In the photo above, we have a simple tofu scramble with onions, garlic, and broccoli, given a southwestern flair with the addition of cilantro and a side of salsa, served with tortillas. If you've never had tofu scramble, this is the best time to give it a try. Everyone I've ever made it for, including hardcore omnivores, has loved it. Just start with any veggies you like- peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions? Add any herbs and spices- curry and turmeric are good because of their yellow color, but chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, the possibilities are endless. Crumble your firm or extra firm drained tofu in there and stir around until cooked through to allow the liquid to evaporate and the flavors to combine. It's always nice to finish off with some fresh herbs- cilantro, parsley, chives, or any combination you like. Served with some potatoes or bread, and you have yourself a perfect breakfast or brunch.

A propos of nothing... tofu scramble is also a great hangover cure. Just sayin'.

Good night!


Share/Save/Bookmark

24 comments:

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

"Great hangover cure. Just sayin'" -- BAZU, you are too cute & funny for words! I love this post, and hope this mondo-fab dish works it's magic for you tomorrow! CHEERS!!!!

the little one said...

I love that your drunk post is not exactly super long, but not exactly super short either. Too sweet. Sweet dreams to you Bazu.

Anonymous said...

This is not a drunk post. First of all, it doesn't have ten billion spelling mistakes. Secondly, you probably won't feel embarrassed by this in the morning. Also, if this was a truly drunk post you'd be making out with the scramble!

Unknown said...

teach me how to type so perfectly whilst drunk, super-B!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I still love a good tofu scramble.. my husband is totally over them though! I try to flavor them with fun things (like soyrizo) & it helps, but he'd rather have sourdough pancakes!

Anna said...

Tee hee, drunken blogging! Love it. Hmm, I don't think my sentences would be nearly so good as yours are in this post if I was writing while under the influence. :)

Your tofu scramble looks great--like the fresh herbs on top!

Jen said...

Cheers, Bazu! If you hadn't told us, I never would've know, but I'm glad you did :-)

Ashasarala said...

Can I just say- you are awesome! :)

Let's give it up for tofu, the vegan's saviour!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Oh you are hilarious Bazu! Hope you don't have a hangover this morning!
Funny enough, I had tofu scramble for dinner last night. I don't think I've ever posted about it, for some reason my pics never turn out, yours is lovely though :-) My scrambles are always of the southwest flavor variety. I used red pepper, jalapeno, mushroom, and black beans...then put it in a tortilla and doused it with guac. Tofu scramble burrito! Anyhow, I'm digressing...
Man, you are one dedicated Vegan MoFo blogger...

Teresa said...

OH BAZU you crack me up! I must say that if you really are drunk then I'm impressed because I would never have guessed it by the post. I must agree with you that the tofu scramble is magical for vegans- and it doesn't taste anything like scrambled eggs, Thank goodness!

Unknown said...

hehe. The mofo brings out interesting things in all of us, sometimes. I've blogged drunk a few times, myself. It's amazing how much effort it takes just to form sentences at times. ;)

Rachael said...

wow, you are amazingly articulate while drunk...a lot more articulate than I am sober! And now I think tofu scramble is on the menu for tonight, as that picture is making my stomach rumble!

Anonymous said...

Yea! I've been waiting for you to post a recipe for this since the only thing I can ever think to make with tofu is stir fry. Thank you! I'll be trying it soon.

Gwenlet said...

Wow, you're a much more articulate drunk than I. My drunken MoFo consisted of little more than "I went to an Italian restaurant and had a lot of wine, but my food was vegan!"

Also, my turn for a confession: I've never made a tofu scramble. Perhaps it's time!

urban vegan said...

Every now and again I get a strong craving for mass quantities of tofy scramble--with toast and jelly. Usually only every few months.

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

It's so funny that you wrote about tofu scramble today. In my VeganMoFo survey post, I said it's the one "vegan staple" that's not my staple (I know, after 9 years of vegetarianism, that's nuts). I just don't find it very exciting, BUT in the interest of expanding my horizons for VeganMoFo, I'm going to try to make one in Nov. :) Thanks for the motivation!

aTxVegn said...

You are too funny, Bazu! Your tribute to the scramble was very well done - not boozy at all!

Bridget said...

I think you are on to something!!! Instead of the 3 a.m. drunken phone call it can be the 3 a.m. drunken blogger! LOVE IT!

Hope your head doesn't hurt too bad the next day.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

haha, Bazu, you're too funny; and definitely the most articulate drunk out there!! :0D

the tofu scramble looks sensational!!

Rural Vegan said...

Sure sure, blame VeganMofo for drunk posting. :P

Anonymous said...

If you hadn't said anything, I would never have had the slightest idea that you might EVER blog drunk! Kudos for being able to hold your liquor well enough to blog intelligently! ;P

anna/village vegan said...

I love tofu scramble. Yummy. I usually make mine with Indian sorts of spices, but I like southwestern a lot, too. it's really good with salsa AND guacamole! (Let's just ignore all the fat in avocados, shall we?)

Fatchan said...

I tried isa's tofu scramble the other day...

I have to say it was horrible. It was so horrible. My boyfriend made it actually. We pressed the organic tofu, until it was all thin and not very watery. Followed the instructions.

He did say that he left out the garlic and paprika though, I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make.

But it tasted like bitter rubbery feet. I felt so completely disappointed after everybody was raving about it. :(

I'm not sure if I'll try tofu scramble again. It must be an acquired taste.

bazu said...

Fatchan, I'm so sorry for your bad experience! I honestly have never heard anyone, vegan or omni, say they don't like tofu scramble (including everyone in my family!) If you can, you should try it just one more time, this time with different ingredients/spices...?