Tuesday, November 06, 2007

classic NYC vegan grub


I love VeganMoFo! I don't think I have ever posted every day this many days in a row - this is a blogging lesson for me: shorter, concise posts rule!



So this is another vegan food flashback post. Long before New York City was the vegan mecca that it is today, long before seemingly every store and restaurant offered vegan fare, there was this humble little jem of a breakfast: a bagel (nice and crusty and chewy, the way it's supposed to be) with a smear of Tofutti cream cheese and a cup of "that" coffee. You know, the coffee that you can get from a deli, a streetcart, or a bagel shop, and nowhere else? The coffee that has a unique yet undefinable taste? The coffee that only costs $.75? Yeah, that coffee.

I remember walking around the city with my friends oh my god, was it really 10 or 11 years ago and getting bagels with Tofutti. I wasn't yet a vegan, and neither were most of my friends, but somehow, Tofutti was the cool thing to get. Back then, it was one of the few vegan convenience foods you could find. Now, even though there is an embarrassment of riches, with restaurants, cafes, and markets offering bigger and better selections of vegan goodness, this is the only breakfast I wanted on my first morning in Brooklyn. I ate it, like every good commuter, on the subway.

More NYC food to come...


Share/Save/Bookmark

16 comments:

JENNA said...

I love VeganMoFo too! I was just thinking today about the blogging lessons VeganMoFo is teaching me. I do believe it is making me into a better blogger. I do miss the NYC bagel and "that" coffee..

Eve Love said...

I want to be in New York city!!

♪♫♪♫♪ cause everyone's your friend in new york city.... ♪♫♪♫♪

Teresa said...

I'm also loving the daily MOFO. It actually got to me to post 2 days in a row for the FIRST time ever.

Oh the lovely NYC. I can't wait till every city is like that! I look forward to more vegan greatness of your trip.

TB said...

Oh my gosh, I totally know "that" coffee. And you can't get it just anywhere, either. NYC has a lot more of it than anywhere else, and a healthy proportion of the places that sell it are open 24 hours, as I recall... Oh, New York, take me back, take me to your wonderland of coffee and Tofuttied bagels done right...

anna/village vegan said...

boohoo I want a NY bagel, too.

Yours looks yummy!

Ashasarala said...

I LOVE tofutti. I absolutely adore it. I break my 'everything must be from scratch' rule often with this stuff! Of course, it never tastes better than when it's on a bagel.

I wish I could figure out the secret recipe. But when they say, 'lactic acid (derived from sugar beets), I have to scratch my head and wonder how I'm gonna squeeze that outta a sugar beet!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

what a fun, delicious way to reminisce about the past!! Tofutti + bagels = classic vegan NYC breakfast :0)

Unknown said...

I want VeganMoFo to last forever so that we can get Bazu posts every single day. now where is my magic wand to make it all happen?

Vegan_Noodle said...

Can't say I've ever had an NYC bagel (makes sense since I"ve never been to the city)... it looks damn good though.

urban vegan said...

Funny. Bagels are still cheaper--and BIGGER--in NYC than anywhere.

Rural Vegan said...

Sadly, I was not vegan when I was last in NYC so I missed out on all these wonderful opportunities. Sounds like reason enough for a vacation, no?

Jody from VegChic said...

I'm also loving MoFo for all the new posts and also how it is making me think about posts. I think I've decided on a scheme for the month which I will hopefully post about tonight along with a new recipe.

Funny about the Tofutti... As a kid, I was not veg*n, but my mom always bought Morningstar Farm Sausages. This was partly because kosher sausages were hard to come by. Still we loved them and didn't miss the meat products. As a vegan I miss Morningstar a little bit. Though, now I know how to make soysauge or seitan sausage from scratch.

Bridget said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........bagel.........toffuti.......

Theresa said...

I was watching a terrible 80s movie last year and the very non-vegan characters said "I got some tofuttis" and I thought it was so cool. I think they meant the ice cream. It must have been so trendy to make a movie line.

Unknown said...

gotta love those memories.

and vegan mofo rocks!

vko said...

ah yes the quintessential bagel & deli coffee...I love that pic. Not to startle you but apparently some bagel places use whey in their bagels rendering them not vegan. I haven't had a bagel in so long but when I do, I will ask and that will have to be a vegan bagel post.