Monday, January 08, 2007

Please Help and Spread the Word!



Please read the below letter from PETA and send a letter and spread the word. Especially pertinent for all my upstate NY friends!

You're likely very familiar with the long-established link between crimes against humans and those against other animals and the additional incentive that this correlation gives many prosecutors to vigorously pursue cases against animal abusers. Although more and more prosecutors are taking such cases seriously, too many animal abusers still walk out of court without being properly punished.

Please send a quick note to District Attorney William Fitzpatrick, whose office is preparing to prosecute Dustin Gauger, 20, and Kyle Custer, 18, both of Elbridge. Gauger and Custer face felony charges stemming from their alleged December 20 abduction and fatal torture of an Elbridge family's cat. The defendants are accused of taking the animal from her guardians' home and bringing her to the trailer park where they reside, binding her, and dousing her with gasoline, and setting her on fire. The animal was suffering from severe burns when she was found by officials and later died, according to news sources.


In what may be a frightening illustration of the above-mentioned correlation, these defendants also reportedly face felony rape charges stemming from separate incidents involving 14-year-old girls. Ask Fitzpatrick that, if his office wins a conviction in this case, his prosecutors work with the court to ensure that the convicts are incarcerated, ordered to undergo a thorough psychiatric evaluation and subsequent counseling at their own expense, and barred from ever again owning or caring for animals—period—as is allowed by New York law. It is our experience that your input really does make a difference in case outcomes, so thank you in advance!

Fitzpatrick should receive only courteous correspondence.


The Honorable William J. Fitzpatrick

Onondaga County District Attorney's Office
421 Montgomery St.
Civic Center, 12th Fl.
Syracuse, NY 13202

315-435-3969 (fax)

daweb@ongov.net


Please forward this message to others who might be willing to lend their voices to this important issue.
Thank you for your compassion for animals and for your willingness to act.

Sincerely yours,


Dan Paden

Domestic Animal and Wildlife Rescue & Information Department

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

* * *

Also check out this article for links between violence and cruelty toward animals.

Thank you!


Share/Save/Bookmark

8 comments:

Theresa said...

That's awful. I'm definitely going to write a letter with my parent's NY address on it. Thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh, what a horrifying story. Can we email or do we need to send actual letters?

urban vegan said...

I wrote a letter. What a sad and horrible story. It just breaks my heart. Nobody wins. I wonder what kind of home life did these kids have to actually go and do such a thing? Sickening.

Thanks for bringing this to the forefront.

bazu said...

Theresa, thanks!
Midwest Vegan, I just wrote an email, I'm sure that's ok.
Urban Vegan, I made sure to emphasize the need for treatment as well as punishment, and I actually think that these two guys are going to get some justice, especially since they are also on trial for rape... UGH. You're right- there is no silver lining in this story. =(

aTxVegn said...

Oh Bazu, this literally makes me sick. I know in Texas these guys would be imprisoned, but only minors are required to get counseling. I hope NY will set an example for the rest of the country.

I've always believed people who are cruel to animals are cruel to humans too. When Chase was much younger, he saw a man kicking his dog and yelling at his daughter. I know he has never gotten over witnessing that cruelty.

Nikk said...

I hear stories like this all too often. I don't understand why or how people can do things like this either to animals or to other human beings.

I really feel that the penalties for animal cruelty are far too lax. In most cases the penalty is only a nominal fine. We need to step up the penalties! Granted, I'm not the biggest fan of the penal system in this country, but something needs to be done to show people that this is not an acceptable form of behavior. I will definitely write a letter concerning this case and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for posting this!

laura k said...

What was going through their heads? Maybe I'd rather not know... I'll send an email for sure.

Anonymous said...

this is so sad thanks, i will email too!