Thursday, November 19, 2009

5 cookbooks in 5 days, 4: 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes




We are on a roll! Tonight we have the 4th installment of this week's 5 cookbook reviews. When I heard that The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes by Kris Holechek of the nom! nom! nom! blog was coming out, I knew that I would have to get my hands on it. Why? Because Kris was the author of The Damn Tasty! Vegan Baking Guide. Those of you that were lucky enough to get your hands already know how good the recipes in that book were. That book is no longer in print, but fear not! Some of its best recipes are included in the new book.


If you've spent more than 5 minutes with me, you've heard me go on and on about THE banana bread recipe. It's the best one ever. I've tried a couple of other ones, only to come back to this- it makes a perfect, moist, flavorful banana bread and you won't believe how simple the ingredients are. It's also adaptable- I switch up the flours and add in crazy ingredients all the time, and it's never failed.


Here's another amazing recipe from the book- Boston Creme Pie! I never imagined I'd be able to make this fancy treat at home, but this recipe is awesome and it'll make you see that it is quite do-able.


This week I decided to make carrot cake. Don't laugh- my cake decorating skills are not that great!


But you can see from this inside shot that this cake is too good to care about my shoddy frosting job. A delicious spicy cake with carrots, raisins, nuts, and plenty of cream cheese frosting. It's so good. I'm not ashamed to admit that Daiku and I have been having slices of this for breakfast for the last couple of days...

Some helpful features of 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes:
  • very thorough ingredient and substitution guides
  • a huge range of recipes from sweet to savory, simple to fancy
  • a guide to let you know exactly how difficult each recipe is, in addition to tips on how to increase efficiency while baking
Don't miss out- this is a reference guide that you'll go back to again and again! Except for THE banana bread- you'll memorize that one pretty quickly...

Check out this week's previous cookbook reviews:

11/16 - 500 Vegan Recipes by Celine Steen and Joni Marie Newman
11/17 - The Urban Vegan by Dynise Balcavage
11/18 - Potluck Mania by Joanna Vaught

And stay tuned for my final review tomorrow:

11/20- Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero


Share/Save/Bookmark

9 comments:

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Ooh, I might need it. I have The Damn Tasty! Vegan Baking Guide, is the banana bread in there?

Kris said...

Yay! Thanks for the love, Bazu!

Yes, Melisser, it's in Damn Tasty! But if you get 100 Best there are 67 more recipes on top of what's in Damn Tasty... ;)

KarenZ said...

Those cakes... my goodness! And I love your frosting style- not laughing at all :)

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

Wow, those cakes are fantastic. I just want to crawl into the carrot cake and stay forever.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I like the kids section! I've been trying some of those easy bake oven recipes out. I really need to make the gas station pie!

Teak Outdoor Furniture said...

The strawberry cake with chocolate base (or the chocolate cake) is awesome, I have longed to bake these kinds of food.

wordpress seo said...

Definitely a good idea for small ge togethers! I wish mine will turn out as beautiful as yours!

Indianapolis injury lawyer said...

All of these dishes look so great! Congrats. You've got some great recipes.

MATT'S REPUBLIC said...

This is LOVE! A burst of flavours!