Monday, November 16, 2009

5 cookbooks in 5 days, 1: 500 Vegan Recipes




It's such an exciting time! Those of you who are cookbook addicts, and I dare say that's more than a few of you, might be aware that a ton of new vegan cookbooks have been published recently. This week, I've decided to give a few of these books some love- so I've decided to do a series called 5 cookbooks in 5 days, one each day until Friday.

The schedule will be as follows:
Mon (today!) - 500 Vegan Recipes by Celine Steen and Joni Marie Newman
Tue - The Urban Vegan by Dynise Balcavage
Wed - Potluck Mania by Joanna Vaught
Thur - The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes by Kris Holechek
Fri- Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero

Just a quick note to let you know that I know all of these authors, I have tested recipes for most of these books, and as a result have received free copies of some of them. I won't lie to you, I'm going to highlight what's good about these books! However, I think you'll agree that there just isn't much bad to say about any of them.

On to today's book!

500 Vegan Recipes
is brought to you by the lovely and prolific bloggers Celine (of Have Cake Will Travel) and Joni (of Just the Food). Just as its name implies, this is a big book, and has an encyclopedic selection of recipes for every meal, mood, and occasion. The book gives lots of background on ingredients and techniques, enough to give beginners the knowledge to begin and more advanced cooks confidence to experiment. The recipes, however, are anything but basic- both Celine and Joni are creative enough to write truly enticing and unusual recipes. A broccoli salad with candied nuts? It's good! A muffin made from a cookie? It's possible!

Here are some of my favorite recipes:



Cannellini All'Italiana (hearty, stick-to-your-ribs, lip-smacking yet oh-so-simple to make)



Homemade bacon bits (much better than the overpriced chemical stuff at the store!)



Braised brussels sprouts and apples (so simple, but so good)



"That" broccoli salad (a perfect old-school blend of healthy and decadent, savory and sweet)



Agave bread (a wholesome bread with a light and delicate taste)



Mole bread (a wonderful complex bread with cocoa and spices)



Mexican hot mocha (a hot and comforting drink- with a kick)


Share/Save/Bookmark

9 comments:

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

You do realize that I'm going to have a very hard time not staying up all night reading my copy of this book, right? Thank you for pointing out some stellar-looking recipes!

kris said...

there are so many recipes in that dang book! I mean, obviously there are 500, but every time i page through and dog ear ones, I see other recipes on people's blogs that I don't remember coming across. so out the book comes, more dog earring ensues. pretty soon the book will just be missing corners.

Mihl said...

Yay, great review Bazu! I need to frame that book, I love it so much.

Melanie said...

Lovely review, lovely photos. I am so excited to get this book when I am in the US!!

Tami said...

I just blogged the tomato soup from this book. It's the best tomato soup I've ever had....I look forward cooking so many good things from it. Thanks for pointing out some of your faves.

celine said...

you kick butt. matter of fact, you kicked my butt in Vienna. I still have bruises to show for it. no more fudge for you!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Hooray for 5 cookbooks in 5 days! That broccoli salad looks crazy!

TB said...

I have been eyeing that brussel sprout recipe since I got the book, so it's nice to have it confirmed that it's just as good as it sounds. This book is almost dauntingly complete, so it's nice to have some suggested (or at least, highlighted) recipes to know where to start. And I have to second the comment about the tomato soup, which is fantastic!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Mole bread?! I need to order this today!