Tuesday, November 17, 2009

5 cookbooks in 5 days, 2: The Urban Vegan




Welcome to the 2nd installment of this week's 5-part cookbook review series! As I mentioned last night, I will be reviewing a new vegan cookbook (and 1 zine!) every day of this week. Tonight, I have The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine, by Dynise Balcavage of the Urban Vegan blog.

True story: Urban Vegan was the 2nd vegan blog I discovered, way back in the summer of 2006, and it was one of my main inspirations to start this blog. As anyone who reads her work knew, it wasn't if, but when Dynise would come out with a cookbook. I love the way she distills the essence of urbanity into her recipes- diverse, edgy, cosmopolitan, unexpected, but ultimately, homey. If like me, you are an urban person at heart (whether or not you live in a metropolis like Philadelphia), you have to pick up this book. What I love is how the recipes are inspired by Dynise's travels to all corners of the world, but somehow fit together very nicely. Check out some of my favorite recipes:


alternative granola - Peruvian influence, a use I'd never imagined for quinoa!


spätzle- you don't need any special tools for this Central European comfort food


chickpea paprikash- daiku's favorite recipe from the book- the paprika taste is so deep and rich, it'll blow your mind


Havana beans and rice- a little taste of Cuba, right in your kitchen


punka pie- I never even liked pumpkin pie before this!


blue mosque ayran- a refreshing and minty drink from the Middle East, perfect for hot summer days


crème brûlée - yes, you heard me!


tiramisu- oh man, possibly my favorite recipe from this book. boozy and decadent and coffee-y- wow!


portobello burger- so simple, yet so good


Here's the tiramisu that Luciana and I made for our recent Halloween party. We called it "fetalmisu"- get it? Ok, even if fetus humor isn't your thing, you have got to get your hands on this book!

Stay tuned for installments 3, 4, and 5. In the meantime, check out my first cookbook review from last night, 500 Vegan Recipes.


Share/Save/Bookmark

14 comments:

Theresa said...

True story: you and Dynise were the first two blogs I read, and the first two regular readers/commenters on my blog. I think it's so cool that she's got a real cookbook out, and the fact that it's so kickass is just icing on the fetus-cake!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

HAHA, fetusmisu! I think I may need this book, the recipes seem unique.

Melanie said...

yes, I definitely need this book. maaaan, vegan cookbook shopping spree coming my way!!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Damnit, your cookbook reviews are making my christmas list even longer!

No More Sad Geraniums said...

Oh wow, spätzle! I've never been able to try this before due to the egg factor but have always really wanted to so I could connect to my German roots. The other stuff looks great too! This was on my radar, and now I may not be able to wait until the holidays to get it...

aTxVegn said...

Great review, and there are so many more fabulous recipes!

T said...

OMG, being in europe right now, I've been wondering about how to veganize some spatzle and paprikash recipes! Gotta get this cookbook, obviously! :)

urban vegan said...

Aw, thanks BZ. And I love your fetal tira mi su!

There are so many great vegan cookbooks out there these days/ I have to get my hands on the others.

XO

Anonymous said...

I wish I hadn't seen this post, because now you're really making me want to get that book. I don't NEED anymore cookbooks, lol.

Anonymous said...

I wish I hadn't seen this post, because now you're really making me want to get that book. I don't NEED anymore cookbooks, lol.

trina said...

That pumpkin pie looks perfect!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Wow. I'm sold! I might even try that pie, even though I'm not a fan. But if it turned you, I'll have to check it out.

Jackie said...

How time flies. 2006 was when I started blogging and also found the many fab Vegan bloggers like yourself and Dynise and so great to see that most are still blogging.

Brilliant cookbook from a brilliant person. Just in time for the upcoming holidays. Who thought such simple recipes to make could taste so good?

filthy gorgeous said...

this is a great blog! thank you for posting awesome pics with your reviews.