Friday, August 14, 2009

I ♡ you, salad pizza!!





So the love affair with salad continues... now in pizza form! Long before I was a vegan, I was a fan of the salad pizza. Now I have grown to realize that it's not a universal thing, but a local feast only to be found in New York City, Long Island, and surronding areas.

What is it? Basically a vegan pizza lover's dream- a slice of pizza (with the crispy/chewy uniquely New York style crust) topped with... salad. That's it. Most salad pizza comes without cheese, but you can also ask them for a cheese-less slice. The slice you see above, from Brooklyn, has tomatoes, zucchini, red onions, and fresh basil. I've had slices with variations of toppings- sometimes even lettuce! What sets salad pizza apart is that the toppings are raw or only briefly heated. The combination of refreshing salad and comforting pizza is something that should not be missed. Make sure to seek one out (usually at local neighborhood pizzerias- the kind where you can buy by the slice) next time you're in the area!


Share/Save/Bookmark

16 comments:

michelle said...

I recognize that slice! Yum.

Seitan Said Dance said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Seitan Said Dance said...

That looks lovely. What pizzeria is it from?

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Stellar topping choices!!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Stellar topping choices!!

Amanda said...

Yum!I haven't heard of this but I think it's probably pretty easy to do at home. Since my fridge is exploding with fresh tomatoes anyways =)

No More Sad Geraniums said...

Just briefly heating the toppings sounds like an awesome idea!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Whoa! I've never heard of this. It looks good!

Amey said...

I've never heard of salad pizza either... but now I want some! Damn you, BAzu!!

also, that heart in your title is rad!

T said...

I've never heard of that before but it looks awesome! Great way to use up the extra pizza dough in the fridge with something a little healthier.

bazu said...

michelle- indeed!
seitan said dance- I got it with Michelle in Bay Ridge- 4th ave? 3rd ave?
everyone else- you must try salad pizza! ;-)

aTxVegn said...

You know I'm loving this!

Hase said...

This is an awesome blog! Thanks for sharing it with us :o)

jd said...

I agree, salad pizza is most definitely a vegan pizza lover's dream!

Mmmm....

lauren said...

They have salad pizza at California Pizza Kitchen, a chain restaurant across the USA. Delicious AND universal.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.