Friday, August 07, 2009

I present to you... biscuits!




Ah biscuits. Such a basic part of American cuisine, so humble, and yet so complex. The perfect biscuit is light but rich, flaky yet sturdy, the marriage of little more than flour and fat. Ah, but the road to that marriage can sometimes be bumpy!

I've been making biscuits for many years, but only recently have I been achieving the results that I really wanted. The recipe I use is from the book James McNair's Favorites, which is one of my all-time favorite cookbooks, and possibly the most vegan-friendly omni cookbook out there. But I digress.

Ok- this is what you need in your arsenal for perfect biscuits: good quality flour (I really can't justify using anything other than King Arthur Flour), some primo vegan non-hydrogenated shortening (I use Earth Balance sticks), a pastry cutter (fine, fine, I've used forks before), a nicely pre-heated oven, and tons of patience and practice. Oh and last but not least, you need a ridiculously sharp biscuit cutter.

Before I move on to McNair's recipe (with a few veganizing tips!), here is what he has to say:
As a youngster, I always asked for 'white' biscuits, which means cooked only until the tops were barely beginning to brown. I still like them this way. If you prefer a browner top, brush the biscuits with melted butter before baking. If you enjoy the sides crusty, arrange the biscuits about 1 inch apart in the baking pan: for soft sides, arrange them touching.
Offer butter and good jelly, jam, honey, or syrup with the biscuits.
Buttermilk Biscuits, from James McNair's Favorites, p. 411 (makes 12):
  • solid vegetable shortening, at room temperature, or cooking spray for greasing (optional)
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening (this is 1 stick of Earth Balance shortening)
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk (which, every good vegan knows, is 3/4 cup soymilk with 1 teaspoon of vinegar mixed in, the mixture allowed to sit and curdle for a few moments)
Position racks so that the biscuits will bake in the middle of an oven and preheat the oven to 400˚F. Using a pastry brush, lightly greast a baking sheet or pan with shortening or coat with spray or line with kitchen parchment. Set aside.

In a bowl or food processor, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the shortening with your fingertips, a pastry blender, or steel blade until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. If using a food processor, transfer the mixture to a bowl. Add the buttermilk and stir just until the mixture sticks together.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly and quickly (Bazu says: lightly and quickly being the operative words! This step is what you need to practice.) about 30 seconds. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out about 1/2 inch thick. Using a floured 2 1/2 inch round biscuit cutter, cut out circles. (Bazu says: use a quick, deliberate up/down cutting motion- don't twist the biscuit cutter- this is key for getting a good rise, and the perfect flaky texture) Place on the prepared sheet.

Bake until lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve piping hot.

Enjoy!




Share/Save/Bookmark

14 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

Wow you make a good biscuit. Mine are certainly always far from light and flaky...so much so that I didn't realise that's what they were meant to be like. You'll have to come and stay with me and make me biscuits asap!

Tami said...

Those look perfect! They're definitely on my to-make list. Thanks!

TB said...

I envy your biscuit awesomeness. Mine are nowhere near this yet, but with your recipe and a lot of practice... Who knows? ;) Thanks, Bazu!

Desdemona said...

These are SO my breakfast tomorrow!!!

aTxVegn said...

Incredible. Stunning. Bravo!

Stella said...

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.

Thank you, than you!

panda with cookie said...

Oh biscuits!

East Village Vegan said...

The biscuits look fantastic!

Luciana said...

I've had your biscuits, and they are amazing, indeed.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Oh my word, they look PERFECT!

katiejayne said...

wow! I just made these and they are awesome. Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

My Year Without said...

That is one gorgeous, mouth-watering picture of a biscuit. Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

I've been trying, but now must try THESE! They look just right.

Xiaolu said...

That's beautiful, hehe. I really didn't think you could get such flakiness without folding the dough multiple times.