Saturday, October 25, 2008

satisfying veggie eats in Stockholm




as you walk through Stockholm, there are a lot of food stands, many selling grilled items like hot dogs, burgers, and falafel. many also have veggie dogs and veggie burgers- woo! just make sure to ask them to leave the creamy sauce off the veggie burger, and the yogurt sauce off the felafel, and you have a quick and tasty vegan snack as you're walking around.



my uncle had scouted this wonderful veggie restaurant for us, the Légumes Vegetariskt Matcafé on Hornsgatan, in his neighborhood of Södermalm. 



This casual restaurant allows you to pick from among a lot of options, to assemble a plate to your taste. Out of about 20 different dishes, only 2 were vegetarian, all the rest were vegan. On my plate above, you see brown rice, a stew made with potatoes, aubergines, tomatoes, and peppers, some soy beef in a spicy sauce, a couple of stuffed grape leaves, and some salad. This was so satisfying! Unfortunately, I was stuffed after the first plate- I say unfortunately, because you can go back and get refills if you want. Daiku and my uncle both took advantage of that option!

More Swedish foods to come!


Share/Save/Bookmark

11 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

HAHA!! Love the first photograph :-D

Oh my, soooooo many food options!!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Ooh, yum! I want to go to Stockholm!

Amey said...

oh my goodness!
vegan all you can eat buffet!?
falafels on the street?

I had no idea. looks awesome.

hope all is well, expat!

Jen Treehugger said...

Oh my...that food looks divine!!

JohnP said...

Bazu, you should write a vegan travel guide!

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies said...

So, ummm, you enjoyed that dog, huh? That's a great pic and the other food looks yummy!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Hope you're having fun in Stockholm!! Looks like you're eating well!

Anonymous said...

I wanna hop on a plane to Stockholm. Now!

vko said...

Oh Bazu- I have been gone too long & so much to catch up with on your blog!! What fun you are having! Love that pic- so cool to be vicariously traveling all over Europe with you. You & Daiku are certainly eating well! xo

tofufreak said...

whoa! that looks awesome!!!

sweden sounds so veg-friendly from your posts :D

i love that first pic of you haha. pretty much depicts me with a veggie dog :D

Erin said...

That restaurant sounds fantastic!