Thursday, October 30, 2008

random eats




Q: what do you get when you mix some noodles with some peanut sauce and spices, a whole lot of veggies and herbs,



and these really tasty VegiDeli brand Thai Style cakes?



A: A really satisfying faux-pad thai dish. Daiku and I both loved these noodles!



speaking of satisfying, talk about comfort food! heeding a serious craving for mashed potatoes, we decided to make this huge batch colcannon, the Irish dish of potatoes mashed with kale. To up the comfort-y factor, we were really generous with the margarine, and topped everything with a generous sprinkle of chopped chives. This was dinner- nothing more needed!



Here's a local Kentish specialty: cob nuts! These are grown right here around Canterbury, and nowhere else. (Or at least that's what the guy at the market said!) We picked up a bunch at the Eurofest that I blogged about earlier in the month...



... and then proceeded to realize that meant that we'd need to buy a nutcracker!



But it was totally worth it to get at these little suckers- cob nuts taste like a milder, sweeter fresh hazelnut- very addictive, and even better when roasted a bit. Yay for local food finds!



Finally, I couldn't resist posting this last photo, even though it's totally non-food-related. Even though we're in the U.K., Daiku and I both mailed in absentee ballots for next week's U.S. election. Here I am giving a "terrorist fist jab" to a giant sculpted fist in the British Museum, in case anyone had any doubts about who I'm rooting for for president...


Share/Save/Bookmark

13 comments:

MeloMeals said...

"terrorist fist jab" lol

I have been meaning to tell you how much I've been enjoying your adventures! The last post, that meal looked just exquisite!

.. and you've reminded me about a sweet potato/white potato/kale mixture I am going to put on top of a lentil shepherds pie for work!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Randomly delicious! :0)

tofufreak said...

ooh cob nuts sound yummy! haha i love your "terrorist fist jab" picture

sarchan said...

Cob nuts look like chestnuts.

The pad thai-patty plate looks delicious. And I love me some colcannon.

Mary Worrell said...

I think I need to make that fist jab pic my desktop background.

Elizabeth said...

I was going to say those look just like hazelnuts!
We taught Eli to give a "terrorist jab" - mom of the year over here.

Anonymous said...

Love the "terrorist" fist jab!

And the British Museum is awfully nice about allowing photos, aren't they?

Anonymous said...

The cob nuts look exactly like hazelnuts! What's the difference? Only the taste?
Bazu, your food looks always so amazing! If you come to Berlin, you should cook for us!

JohnP said...

Go, Terrorist Fist Jab!

Anonymous said...

If you have the recipe for those mashed potatoes and kale, I would love to have it!

Caroline

allularpunk said...

pad thai..yes! and i've been mashing up sweet potatoes with kale lately. you should try it, it's so so good!

aTxVegn said...

All that food looks so good! How fun to make new food discoveries.

bazu said...

caroline, come over, we'll make you some colcannon... and some vegan haggis too. =)