Ok, the memes have been piling up, because yours truly, the procrastinator extraordinaire, has to think before answering any questions or coming up with creative things to say. But no more! In this post, I will turn loose 3 memes upon the unsuspecting blogosphere, so that other fellow bloggers can deal with them now- ha ha!
I was really honored when Village Vegan bestowed the title "Rockin' Girl Blogger" on me. This means so much, especially coming from as talented a rockin' girl as her! I mean, have you seen her apricot Danish pastries? Holy guacamole. As part of the meme, I have to pick 5 bloggers that I think are pretty rockin', and I chose these 5 ladies, who all bring a unique voice and perspective to the blogosphere:
- Emmie - Veg Bitch - her dirty seitan alone would qualify her for this!
- Theresa - Tropical Vegan - fellow grad. student who inspires with eloquent words and activism
- Tania - My Journey - if she has mad baking skills this young, what will she accomplish in a few years??
- Tracy - A Veg*n for Dinner - I challenge you to read one of her posts and not laugh out loud
- Meesh - The Eph Word - discusses some of the most important issues facing women today, the political meets the everyday in her blog
You guys rock- thanks for expanding my horizons!
* * *
Susan of Foodblogga fame, tagged me for this one. You'll see I borrowed one of her answers for my own!
What were you doing 10 years ago?
- I had just finished my freshman year at SUNY Stony Brook, and was working my first "real" job... at Boston Market! At the time, ironically, I was a vegan, so I came home smelling like chicken and needing to take a long hot bath every night. That job only lasted 5 weeks. I learned a lot, though.
- Cold leftovers of any kind
- This sounds really esoteric, but a perfect organic Fuji apple with freshly made almond butter. It's really not the same as anything else! I used to get this snack every Saturday at Mother's Market back when I lived in Irvine, CA.
- Brown rice and nori
- Salt & vinegar potato chips
- Baked goods of any kind with a hot cup of black tea
- I actually know all the lyrics to quite a few Edith Piaf songs. One of my high school French teachers used to make us listen to Edith Piaf all the time, because he considered hers the perfect accent and wanted us all to speak and enunciate like her! I still really like Piaf.
- Definitely endow a charity or two: my pet causes being human rights, animal rights, social justice, environmentalistm and anti-consumerism
- Pay off all loans and debts, and make sure all my friends and family can do likewise
- Travel, travel, travel
- I've always wanted to buy some art. Perhaps some political pieces (especially from Weimar-era Germany), or some works by Elfriede Lohse-Wächtler
- If there's anything left over, back to the charities
- Biting my nails and cuticles. I would love to stop
- I'm probably the vegan with the worst ingredient-reading habits
- I'm a pretty serious procrastinator- a pretty bad trait when attempting to finish a dissertation
- Not exercising as regularly as I used to
- A short temper that has actually gotten a lot better over the years, but which I still need to work on
- Cooking and baking, photographing the results, and blogging about the whole process!
- Traveling- there is just this indescribable feeling of being in an airport, knowing you're about to go somewhere you've never gone before
- Eating the crust off of pizza (including Daiku's pieces). Everybody knows that’s the best part. (I borrowed this from Susan- I love the crust of the pizza most of all and I will eat everyone's leftovers! I don't understand people who leave their crusts behind.)
- Reading- whether it's serious or utterly non-serious, I've always been a voracious reader
- Long conversations with friends. This might sound trite, but only by living thousands of miles from my best friends have I realized the true luxury of being able to spend quality time with loved ones.
- A rat's tail (you know, when you had a short haircut except for a long strand in the back, which you often braided?)
- That brassy orange color you get when your hair is dark brown but you convince yourself it's light enough to use Sun-In in
- A style of bangs that involved copious amounts of teasing, back-combing, and hairspray
- A short haircut, parted in the middle, and feathered on the sides
- That haircut I got for free right before starting graduate school- let's say the phrase "1980's gym teacher" was thrown around...and this was 2002!
- The Word Game- my favorite board game
- Any board game or trivia game for that matter
- The peg game
- Legos- I used to love building elaborate houses with them, and I'm sorry we no longer have that big bag of old-school Legos
- Cameras- I got my first one as a 13th birthday present, and ever since then have enjoyed running around with my friends and taking silly pictures.
* * *
Jackie, from the Vegan Diet, tagged me for this meme:
It’s very simple. When this is passed on to you, copy the whole thing, skim the list and put a * star beside those that you like. (Check out especially the * starred ones.) Add the next number (1. 2. 3. 4. 5., etc.) and write your own blogging tip for other bloggers. Try to make your tip general. After that, tag 10 other people. Link love some friends! Just think– if 10 people start this, the 10 people pass it onto another 10 people, you have 100 links already!
1. Look, read, and learn.
2. Be, EXCELLENT to each other.
3. Don’t let money change ya!
4. Always reply to your comments
5.Blog about what you know & love.
6.Don’t use filthy language-buy a dictionary.
7.Blog about something educational
8. Always give a link back when using others' info.
9. Veganize favorite recipes from your childhood!
For this meme, I tag: Celine, Diann, SusanV, Nicole, and Monika K. (for respectively, creating tons of gorgeous recipes daily, reminding us to eat our veggies and love them, teaching us that fat-free can be voluptuous and indulgent, setting an example for healthy eating and living, and transporting us to a different continent. Not that I'm telling you guys what to say in the meme or anything!)
Have fun and have a great weekend, everyone!