Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Puerto Rico 3 of 3, and fireworks


For my last Puerto Rico post, I just want to leave you with some images that Daiku and I can't get out of our minds. After all, it is hard to forget:




A dog, groomed to look like a lion walking around insouciantly in Old San Juan.



Also in Old San Juan, this calico kitten, coming out to play from under a car. She belonged to a huge colony of feral cats that seemed to own their street.



These flaming red trees, called flamboyan, that were everywhere and symbolized Puerto Rico with their bright dynamism.





The quirky roof-top bar of our hotel, which offered eclectic decorations (top) as well as panoramic views of San Juan (bottom).



Puerto Rico's own Medalla beer, which was seriously delicious and quickly became my favorite.



The gorgeous, brightly colored houses, nearly all with elaborate wrought iron detailing. I love tropical architecture, which often blurs inside and outside with open, airy plans.



And finally, what we will both remember for a long time is the sheer intensity of the sun and heat. We enjoyed it and drank it in, even though we had to take massive measures (SPF 70 sunblock, anyone?) to protect ourselves against it. At one point I realized that I'd never seen the sun quite as high overhead in the sky as in Puerto Rico. And we got to celebrate the summer solstice there, too.



Finally, I leave you with these shots of fireworks that we got to enjoy this past weekend at Syracuse's jazz festival. (We also got to see Dave Brubeck play- what a treat!) I hope, however you choose to celebrate it, that you all have a great holiday!




Share/Save/Bookmark

17 comments:

Unknown said...

that lion dog thing slays me!

laura k said...

The decor, the beer, and everything in between sound fabulous. That's a great pic of you and Daiku, braving the sun! Have a great holiday.

Anonymous said...

wow - those trees are on fire!

aTxVegn said...

You really got some great pictures of your trip. Thanks so much for sharing - I'm terribly travel deprived lately!

Happy 4th to you to! I'm making Julia Child's crockpot baked beans today!

theONLYtania said...

I want that lion dog!
That's a great picture of you and Daiku.. he looks like a pirate haha!
Dave Brubeck, now that's my kind of thing. Awesome opportunity. Great fireworks pictures too!

Candi said...

Oh wow... I had no idea that was a dog! :(

What beautiful photos. I love the scenery, minus the stray animals.

The rooftop bar is so adorable, and I love the chair!! I especially love the photo of you on the beach. You are stunning! It looks like an advertisement for Puerto Rico! You both look so relaxed.

I love the fireworks photos! Did you take them yourself? They are so good!

Happy 4th! :)

madeinalaska said...

I too LOVE that chair..
what a cute photo of you two on the beach! If I were you that one would be framed!!

Kris said...

What a nice trip! Lucky duck. And I must say, you have some good taste in music, too. :)

Monika K said...

Dave Brubeck???!!!! Unbelievable - I am so jealous (oh, and San Juan looks great, too). (-:

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

How awesome! Everything looks so fun and relaxing.

MeloMeals said...

Wow.. that dog.. omg... hilarious.

The pic of you two is amazing... the trip looks like such a great time!

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

awesome images you captured, Bazu! Puerto Rico looks amazing. Brubeck has played Boise and he really tickles the ivory. :)

urban vegan said...

Interesting array of photos & observations, Bazu...the lion dog is surreal. I'm sure in the photo he is running away from you becuase he is embarrassed to be seen like that [but at least he was cool].

I am now determined to go to PR, especially becuase I love salsa & baccata, and b/c your images were so enchanting.

Gorgeous firework shots, BTW! It poured here in July 4.

vko said...

That lion-cut dog is too funny- which makes me want to consider it again for Booboo because of the heat-but she would be indignant.

Your photos of PR are fab & you & Daiku did pretty well with that 70sunblock.

Happy 4th to you- your firework shots are amazing-mine did not come out even a quarter as well...

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos! Fireworks are hard to shoot.

TB said...

wow, cool chair on the rooftop bar! great pics of the fireworks, too. that's hard.

anna/village vegan said...

Nice photos! It looks like you had a really nice vacation.

And I'm not sure wheather to laugh or cry at that dog..