Monday, March 19, 2007

stuck in the snow!


Evil Icicles Hanging Perilously From Daiku's Office...

So Daiku and I bundled up to head out into the snow to do some grocery shopping for Norooz, which is the Iranian New Year and a celebration of the first day of spring. (Scheduled to occur this year on Tuesday, March 20, sometime in the evening on the East Coast). Ironic that the first day of Spring, usually celebrated with flowers and herbs and sunshine should find us buried in snow and sub-freezing temperatures... but I digress. As we slid down our icy front hill, we realize with horror that neither of us has keys. No car keys... no house keys. The sun is about to set, there is snow coming down, and we are LOCKED OUT! After scaling our property and ensuring that, unfortunately, our house is pretty secure, we are stuck with no way of getting in. Our neighbors are gone to Florida. The only person who has keys to our house, our cat-sitter, is at least 30-40 minutes away, and probably still at work. Long story short, we end up having to break a basement window to get inside our house. By this time, we're lucky we can still feel our extermities. Suffice it to say, we didn't make it to the grocery store. I'm sorry to be a grinch, but Norooz has to be postponed this year... I promise to give you a post sometime this week with lots of good food and tradition and cheer. As soon as I thaw out that is...

In the meantime, enjoy the vernal equinox, the first day of spring, and the beginning of the season of renewal and hope tomorrow.

P.S. My husband is my hero- in addition to his many talents, I have now witnessed him jimmying and breaking his way into a house like a world-class criminal!


Share/Save/Bookmark

13 comments:

Theresa said...

Sounds like quite an adventure!

vko said...

Oh Bazu- Happy New Year!

What a crazy story and those icicles do look evil and perilous.

Glad that your husband was able to save the day- albeit in a shady manner, but desperate situation called for desperate 'criminal' action- hehehe. Glad you are both safe and sound and warm!

I'm sure the kitties enjoyed watching you both trying to get into the house.

theONLYtania said...

Oh nooo! So sorry to hear about your ordeal, and about Nowrooz. At least it will be extra special when you finally do celebrate.
But I'm glad to hear you didn't freeze, that could have been so dangerous!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh - I can imagine your horror when you realized neither of you had the keys. I'm glad you didn't freeze. At least you found out that your house is really secure - that's a good thing.

Kati said...

Oh that's awful! I'm glad you got inside safely - and the situation certainly made for a good story.

I hope your new year is happy! It seems really appropriate to me to celebrate the new year in spring when everything is coming back to life, instead of in the dead of winter when everything is, well, dead. =) Happy spring! (The icicles will surely melt soon, I promise!)

Amey said...

Oh Dear Bazu!
What an escapade. I've had to break into my house once, but luckily we had an oversized dog door that I could (just barely) fit through. I hope your window is fixed soon, and that you are both warm and cozy for NoRooz.

Somewhere, under all that snow, Spring is working its magic.

:) amey

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
scottishvegan said...

Aaaw, what a nightmare Bazu! Glad you got back in to your house even if you had to break your way in. I locked myself out the other day too, but luckily I only had a 2 minute walk to retrieve an extra key to get back in…and no snow! Hope you enjoy your new year celebration when you have it!

urban vegan said...

The rest of the year can only get better.

Those icicles look dangerous.


Happy New Year. Seriously!

KleoPatra said...

Ooooooh.. icicles!!

I had to laugh about the criminal you love :o)

Hope and wish all will be well in the coming year!!

Anonymous said...

had to laugh about the criminal you love , that was funny. but im so glad that both are ok, that must be scary!
Happy new year!

Kris said...

Oh no! I have had to break into my own house before too, it sucks! And to be that cold- ick! At least Daiku's talented like that.

Happy New Year!

Emmy said...

Oh no! That's awful you both forgot your keys :( Well at least you know your house is rather burglar proof . Kudos to Daiku for breaking into the house (wouldn't this be a funny sentence taken out of context? LOL).