Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Rockin' it old skool

I want to tell you about a meal that brought Daiku and me an inordinate amount of pleasure recently. It was that time of the week when our refrigerator was looking pretty empty, and we had to raid our pantry to make something for dinner. I grabbed a box of this tofu burger mix and set about making patties, thinking we'd have burgers. However, that plan changed as we tried to come up with a vegetable side. We had a couple of carrots and half a bag of frozen peas. Daiku remembered something his grandmother used to cook with these ingredients- we sauteed the sliced carrots, and then added onions and peas. We took the other half of our onion and roasted it in the toaster oven. We realized that these were very old-fashioned sides. So we decided to make our entree old-fashioned as well. As the patties stayed warm in the oven, we added some cheese to the top (veggie mozzarella for me, dairy cheddar for Daiku). The result looked amusingly like an old salisbury steak t.v. dinner right out of the 1950's. As we had dinner that night, we kept giggling at how ridiculous yet sublime our old skool meal was. I think mixing gourmet foods with more simple, kitschy ones is a great way to keep things interesting!





Share/Save/Bookmark

9 comments:

Judy said...

Very cute. Sometimes I eat very 'old' food, or sometimes terribly boring food, but it's often the tastiest. Grandmothers do know best, don't they?

laura k said...

What a happy accident, the way that meal turned out! I think it's great, amid all the exotic, gourmet foods out there, sometimes the silliest sounding things are the ones that make us the happiest!

theONLYtania said...

Haha, TV dinner is exactly right! But you know what.. it looks really great! It's one of those "use-what-you've-got" meals and it turned out awesomely!

Kati said...

Oh, this is too fun! Sometimes "simple" makes for the best meals. I'm definitely a fan!

MeloMeals said...

Good Ole comfort food! You can't beat it.. especially when it is vegan!

vko said...

Love your tv dinner! and of course, I love peas, such perfect little green things...the only thing missing is that little brownie...oh I can hear conjunction junction what's your function in the background- hmm, must have just dated myself.

KleoPatra said...

LOVE THAT!! The cheezy topping makes me long for my mom's grilled cheese sandwiches from my younger daze, Bazu. Sweet!

Emmy said...

I love the title of your post Bazu!!! What a nifty 50's inspired meal. Take out those pesky peas and I'm there :)

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

I'm sorry. No TV Dinner ever looked this good when I was growing up!

Very fab looking meal however!