Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Testing for Celine!



I was so happy to get the opportunity to test recipes for Celine's upcoming zine! All I can say is, you have GOT to get this zine when it comes out- holy yummy wow.




I have been in love with everything lemon and lime lately, so as soon as I saw this recipe for lemony French cake with cream cheese frosting, I knew I had to make it. Unfortunately, I didn't have the 6-inch cake pan called for, and so had to make it in a much larger 9-inch pan. The result was much thinner, but still delicious.



In fact, after a day's refrigeration, it took on the texture of a cake-y lemon bar! I haven't had that in such a long time. Daiku and I might have even enjoyed a couple of slices of this for breakfast...




Originally, Celine had made these in the shape of ducks, hence their name. Unfortunately, I don't have any duck cookie cutters, the smallest ones I have are these angels.



No matter! These were so insanely delicious. Much better than cheez-its- and so much healthier! Even though I've been eating nutritional yeast for a long time, I have never loved nutritional yeast- until I tasted these crackers. But now, I see the full "cheesy" potential of the stuff- and I think I'm addicted. That's right, Celine has put the "crack" in crackers!



Here they are (perhaps I should call them "quakers" instead of "quackers"...?) served with some delicious vegetable soup made by Bridget.

Let's just say, out of the 60 crackers, there are only about 10 or so left- and they might not make it through the night.

Celine, you are a vegan baking wunderkind!
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

16 comments:

J.J. said...

Quakers. That's a pretty good one, actually.

Unknown said...

so cute!!!! cheezy choirs?

KleoPatra said...

Celine is amazing, and so are you with what you made here. Those angels are absolutely adorable!!

Crack in crackers... too funny. (And the ducks she made put the quack in the quackers! Love that Celine humour!!!)

The lemony cake/bar w/frosting (FROSTING!!! i loooooooove frosting!!) looks soooo freakin' good.

Great photography of these, too, Bazu.

Jen said...

Ooooooooooo! Wow. I'm drooling over these photos...

Anonymous said...

looks so good!!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Oh, wow, that lemony french cake sounds delicious. Such a light, refreshing dessert and a nice change up from chocolate sometimes.
How funny...quakers. Love your new name.

Teresa said...

Lucky you! I've said before that cheeze-its and gold fish are the only things I miss since going vegan. Crazy I know, but I ate them almost every day in high school, so it's sort of a childhood comfort thing. And I love that you're calling your angels quakers!

Emilie said...

drool. cheesy crackers. oh how i want some right now...i'm going super snacky over a bag of TJ sesame pretzel nubs...satisfying enough, but no vegan cheesy crackers. early vegan cooking experiments had me avoiding nutritional yeast, but now i use it like a mother*. so many good vitamins and when properly mixed with other tasteful ingredients, it really does pack that old salty rich cheese kind of punch. looks good!

Kuntal Joisher said...

hey bazu, how r u? thanks for dropping by.. Well I've been wanting to invite you to my blog but I do not know your email id and hence cannot send you an invite.. anyhoo my email id is kunsjoi@gmail.com, email me and i will send u an invite!

Also I'm not yet married.. just engaged :-) .. getting married in December!!

runswithdog said...

I love the cheesy Quakers! Beautiful food and photos, as usual. How do you stay so thin? LOL

vko said...

Oh cheezy Quakers I heart thee! And you & I are definitely meeting for a meal come next week- wanted to make sure you got my email and it did not go to junk mail...

Anonymous said...

I am glad the cake turned out well--I have wanted to make it since Celine posted it but it has been so hot I cannot bring myself to turn on the oven! Both your cake and crackers look great!

Courtney

urban vegan said...

cute!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

You made the test recipes I meant to make, but never got around to. yum yum!

dreamy said...

I think they actually look wonderful Angel-shaped :)

aTxVegn said...

You did a great job on those testers! I have to make that pie!