Thursday, August 16, 2007

in an ideal world...

.
Isa posted this over on the PPK forums a few weeks ago, and I've been wanting to repost it here since then. So, with her permission, behold a letter sent to Isa and 3 other vegan guests from her [non-vegan] friends about their upcoming wedding:

"Hey guys -

Just wanted to say that we're really excited that you all are going to be coming to our wedding, and to give you a little heads up about the food so you don't have to worry about leaving hungry!

The food is all going to be kosher, and since we're having meat in some of it, the good news is that you don't have to worry about hidden dairy in any of the recipes. We've talked to the chef and found out what gets cooked with chicken stock or egg in it, but for the most part, what you see is what you get.

Ok, so on to the food. After the reception there will be a cocktail hour with a bunch of pased hors d'oevres. The ones that are vegan are:

Stuffed Mushrooms
Grilled vegetable kebabs
fruit kabobs
vegetarian sushi roll
marinated artichokes

There will also be a tabble with raw veggies and dip, and another with hummus and other mediterannean salads.

Then, we go upstairs for dinner, which is going o be served buffet style. There will be a salad station, where you can make your own salad. And that's it for you guys.

Ok, kidding.

There's a pasta station where you can get your choice of linguini and rigatoni, with three different sauces to choose from - filetto di pomodoro (kind of a chunky marinara), broccoli and olive oil, and dairy-free pesto.

There's also a crepe station - the chef is pretty sure that the crepes are not made wih egg, but he is checking on it for us. Assuming they aren't made with egg, you can get a spinach filled crepe with mushroom sauce. If the crepes DO have egg, then I guess you can get some spinach with mushroom sauce on it... sad

There will also be grilled corn, vegetable rice, and polenta fries (again, 99% sure they will be vegan, but need to check on day of) at the various stations that will be around.

We're still working dessert out, but we'll probably have something brought in special for you guys.

Can't wait to see you all there!

[Groom]-n-[Bride]"

In an ideal world, all of our friends and family would have this level of understanding, empathy, and respect for veganism. Isa's friends, you rock! Isa, I hope you gave them an excellent wedding gift! (Some ginger chocolate chunk scones, perhaps...?)


Share/Save/Bookmark

19 comments:

Carrie™ said...

My close friends & family are very understanding & thoughtful of me when it comes to food. I have never had one of them make a snide, off-hand remark or anything. Just the opposite - they seem to bend over backwards to accommodate me. Some co-workers on the other hand.....

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

wow, thats really, really cool.

meesh said...

That is amazing! Yes, in a perfect world all of our friends would not only show this level of respect, but might just consider following in our footsteps from time to time. :) Sounds like it's going to be a great reception.

Kumudha said...

These days being a vegetarian is pretty easy in united states, but being a vegan is daunting and challenging.

I wish all had friends and family like Isa's!

Samantha said...

It sounds like it is going to be a great wedding for a vegan to go to that is for sure. What nice people! I like them already. I a sure sign that they will have a lasting relationship, right? Accommodating a vegan has to be good Karma!

BTW, on my blog I have a little challenge or question for my Favorite veggie bloggers!

Kate said...

That is amazing, I have a few friends like that but wow that is great.

laura k said...

Bazu, I'm sorry it's been SO LONG since I've visited your blog... I've been so busy and I've missed this lovely spot. :'(

First off, I love this post--how I wish I could, just once, have an experience like this one. Reading about it gives me hope, I have to say.

Second, I love all your recent posts--from your weird day to your travels and everything in between. I especially love your account of traveling along the Hudson River. I would love to take a trip up there--I love old cemeteries and structures like the ones you saw... and that photo of the lavender is gorgeous--beautiful enough to sell (at least to me!). A part of me has always wanted to live in New England, and your pictures remind me why. Thank you so much for taking me there, and I hope one day very soon I'll get to see it all for real (and see you while I'm in the neighborhood)!

KleoPatra said...

Wow. Until the world wakes up, in this non-vegan world in which we live, i have to say this is as close to what i'd want to see peeps doing as possible. Thank you for re-posting this, Bazu. Super terrific. Wow!

Hope you have a great weekend. Looking forward to your next "installation" here!

Hugs,
K

Judy said...

That sounds like a great menu - wish I was going!

Teresa said...

Wow am I ever jealous. I just recently blogged about a not so pleasant dinner experience at a wedding. Well any big family event/vacation/etc. is usually rather annoying since my family finds vegetarian/vegan a big hassle. Maybe someday I will be luckly like your friends.

Also, I was wondering if you could possibly email me any NY (Brooklyn & Manhattan area) or Boston (Quincy area) restaurant suggestions. So far it's been somewhat difficult getting vegan and omnivore (although they should be called CARNIVORES) friendly restaurants for me and my family. I'd love it... here's my email lil_mayer04@yahoo.com.

Do you live anywhere near Brooklyn? It's my first time on the east coast, so my geography of this area is bad. If you do it would be awesome to meet up!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Wow, that's beautiful! I was attending a wedding where they didn't even have a vegetarian option, even the salad had seafood in it! eek.

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

I love it! I'm one of the fortunate few who has had pretty good luck at weddings and such.

I love your posts, as always!!

aTxVegn said...

This is so wonderful. I would never expect special treatment at someone else's event, esp. their wedding, so this is really really awesome. On the other hand, it's not THAT much trouble to keep the butter and cheese off just a few items to be accommodating. Isa's friends are true friends.

MeloMeals said...

Wow... how incredibely respectful

TB said...

an ideal world, indeed! i have to say, though, that the last two weddings i have been to, the bride and groom really thoughfully made sure there was something good for us to eat. i think the world is getting more understanding a little bit at a time...

Anonymous said...

You crack me up! I just happened to see your comment on Neva Vegan's site about my age. Hahahaha! I'm still laughing about it. Must have been a Freudian slip. You know, even though I think I look young for my age, I don't feel young. I talk to my 20 year old sister and I feel so out of the loop. I guess I thought you could be "old" but still be "young" and hip and cool but I've resigned that theory.

urban vegan said...

What considerate friends! LAst time I went to a family outing, my sister told me what everyone was making, Then she added, "Oh, and you're bringing food for yourself." (As if no one else would eat it.) I said, "No. I'm bringing food for everyone."

urban vegan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
vko said...

What lovely & considerate friends!

I have a wedding to go to and my friends made sure to have a vegan dish for me which I'm sure will be very simple, but it's nice when your friends keep your lifestyle in mind.