Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Whisper: A Thanksgiving Miracle

WHISPER the turkey



This little girl is our Thanksgiving miracle. We had sent in our adoption forms to Farm Sanctuary way back in September, but there had been some delay and administrative difficulty, so we didn't get word back for a long time. As the weeks passed, Farm Sanctuary promised that they hadn't lost our application, but we started to get worried. Last week, it began looking like a possibility that Thanksgiving would come and go and we wouldn't have word about our adopted turkey.

Well guess what came in the mail last Wednesday, the last possible day? An information packet and photo introducing us to... Whisper. She is a young turkey that was part of a group that a man was trying to sell over the internet. When he realized that his deals were not going through, he decided to let the turkeys (hatched from eggs he had bought) die. Fortunately, Farm Sanctuary convinced him to surrender the surviving turkeys and they will now live happily ever after on the farm.

I hope to visit Whisper some day soon, and take her some of her favorite snack, butternut squash to enjoy. Her photo certainly completed our Thanksgiving table.

You too, can adopt a turkey or any other farm animal for a monthly cost. Please visit the Farm Sanctuary website (www.farmsanctuary.org) and look into their adoption programs. Help save a farm animal!

More turkeys that need your help: click here
Farm Sanctuary's Adopt an Animal Project: click here



Share/Save/Bookmark

11 comments:

Nikk said...

What a beautiful girl! :)

Candi said...

Aww, she's so sweet! I'm happy you adopted her! She must have been a nice sight to have for Thanksgiving. :)

I adopted one as well, but mine isn't here yet! :( I think we adopted Sunflower. I love the program. Wonder what I can adopt for Christmas. Lol!

Amey said...

Sweet little Whisper. I'm so glad that Farm Sanctuary can provide a home for her and her friends. I like thinking about her eating butternut squash, too.
:)

wheresmymind said...

That is a very cool idea!

Crystal said...

What a great story about Whisper!

-Crystal

urban vegan said...

Congratulations on Whisper. I'll bet she and Macadamia are bestest friends.

Bazu, I finally posted my apple pie recipe for you. Sorry it took so long.

Jackie said...

How wonderful she is.

I was so upset last week due to the turkey slaughter so it is wonderful to see that some turkeys like Whisper and Sunflower will have a peaceful life.

Anonymous said...

She is so beautiful. I'm really glad that you adopted her. I need to get going and do the same. Shame on me for not doing it sooner.

Carrie™ said...

What a pretty girl! It is such a wonderful thing they are doing at the Farm Sanctuary. I would love to visit the one in NY, but it's quite a drive for me. I haven't heard of anything like this in Canada. Has anyone?

meesh said...

Yay Bazu! And Yay for Whisper too! I'm so glad they got the packet to you in time for Thanksgiving. I wonder, how exactly was this guy going to transport turkeys in the mail? Never mind. I don't want to know. Ugh.

Thanks for the great links. I'm thinking Christmas presents...

village mama said...

Whisper, you are one gorgeous girl! You are so blessed to have such a great set of parents!