Monday, February 04, 2008

Wheeler's: vegan ice cream, anyone?




Last month, I was delighted when Wheeler's Black Label Ice Cream offered to send me some samples to taste-test. I had tasted their heavenly ice creams once, back at the Boston Vegetarian Food Festival in October, and had become enamored immediately. Like many other bloggers who have reviewed this ice cream, I'm an unabashed fan. I have seen the future, and it is Wheeler's: decadent and creamy ice cream that comes in fabulous and tantalizing flavors that would make anyone's heart melt. This is the ice cream to serve to those picky and skeptical omnivores in your life.



This ice cream is enough to make me contemplate moving to Boston. It might have a similar effect on you. Until then, sit back, relax, and let the photos tide you over.



Here are the flavors I got: (clockwise from top left) Black Russian (yes! booze and ice cream - what more could you ask for?), chocolate coconut (an underutilized and awesome flavor combo), and peanut butter chocolate chip (made this non-PB-dessert-lover swoon). You might notice that my tower of ice cream had 4 containers, not the 3 you see here. Well you see, Daiku and I ate the 4th flavor, Mexican chocolate, faster than we could take pictures of it .


black Russian


chocolate coconut


peanut butter chocolate chip

x-treme ice cream close-ups!







taking tiny tastes in tiny spoons- the best way to savor the ice cream- and delay the inevitable sadness that will come when my temporary stash of this miracle from the vegan gods is depleted. Sigh.

I want to thank Wheeler's for letting me taste and review their ice creams, and humbly beg them to start making their products available in Syracuse ASAP.

Visit their blog! wheelersblacklabelveganicecream.blogspot.com
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! Now I'm sad and jealous... tried contacting them as per the offer on their website to set up a tasting here in Los Angeles but they never even replied :(

Anonymous said...

Wow that's so nice of them to send all that ice cream to you. It looks AMAZING. Even just the names of the flavors are making me drool. Mmm.

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

all of them look great but that Black Russian sounds like my faorite.

trina said...

I covet your ice cream.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Wow, those flavors all sounds like ones I would do anything to get a hold of! (well, almost) So a question for you, can you pinpoint some of the difference between wheelers and say, the purely decadent stuff? Or other vegan ice creams you've had? Just need to understand exactly what it is I'm missing!! I think it's also safe to say that they need to go nationwide immediately!!

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

so jealous! sexiest ice cream shots ever! (I will try the black russian flavour someday, oh I will, I will!)

urban vegan said...

You lucky, lucky, LUCKY girl.
*drooling*

bazu said...

Vegan Noodle: I would say Wheeler's is superior to other vegan ice creams I've tried in 3 areas: richer/creamier texture, more exciting flavors/flavor combos, and most importantly, no hint of soy or "fake" taste whatsoever. This is an ice cream I'd feel really comfortable serving to suspicious or picky non-vegans. I can say with confidence that no one would know it's non-dairy if they weren't told.

That being said, I still like Purely Decadent and Temptation, but it's like the difference between regular ice cream and super premium stuff. Somehow, though, Wheeler's manages to still be low in calories- go figure!

veganmomma said...

Yeah, I'm super jealous. At least there are other options though. Anyone remember the days of tofutti and rice dream only? Those were both so gross!

Carrie™ said...

Fantastic photos Bazu! And what inventive flavours. Black Russian has me really interested. I'm sure I'll never see these on the Canadian market. I'll have to book a trip to Boston.

Peace, Love and Veganism said...

Mmmmm... I love vegan ice cream! My favorite flavor is Carrot Cake (I think it's Rice Dream) but that coconut flavor you show is calling my name! Nothing better than coconut!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

You guys are so lucky! They said they'd send me some the first week of Jan., but I haven't heard from them since. :( I guess I'll have to live vicariously through you!

aTxVegn said...

Lucky you! Oh, yeh, coconut chocolate sounds fabulous. It was 80 degrees here today, so we need that ice creme pronto!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my. These do look unbelievable! I've read a couple of the reviews of their stuff, all spectacular. Once again, it makes me sad (and oh so envious) that I am not within their delivery zone!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Want want want! hehehe.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you got a taste of Wheeler's as well! Isn't it just amazing? Mmm... I'm craving it all over again..!

Rural Vegan said...

zomg - the Black Russian! That looks so good it's just ridiculous. So what are the odds that Wheeler's will relocate to the vegan mecca that is rural Illinois? Come on, it could happen! Right???

Ashasarala said...

I say it again and again- all of this is so drool-worthy. Everyone keeps getting free samples! How do I get them to send me some? I guess I won't be allowed to since I am already in Boston.

But still, there is nowhere I can just pick up a carton. Boo-hiss!

Again, I live vicariously.

Rachael said...

i need to try some of that! do you know where in boston it is sold, by any chance? I can't seem to find locations on their website/blog. I think i may need to bribe my mom to bring some up with her when she comes to visit in march...

dreamy said...

We don;t have them here, and I am missing ice-cream!

Penny said...

Okay, I need to conduct my own Wheeler's taste test w/in the comforts of my home. Wait, that could be dangerous, better stick w. the rationed hand-outs!

jd said...

Holy Leaning Tower of Ice Cream!

YUM!

TB said...

I am dying to try this stuff! Especially the mexican chocolate flavor. Mmmm. Great review, bazu!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.