Wednesday, February 13, 2008

a few months late...


If there's anything I specialize in, it's taking entirely too long to try a dish, even when everyone raves over it, even when it's something I have been dying to try, even when the recipe and the ingredients are right there, staring me in the face.


Such was the case with Katie's buffalo wings from her 'zine "Don't Eat Off the Sidewalk." (You can find the recipe on her blog) I ordered the 'zine as soon as it came out, months ago. I gathered all the ingredients, weeks ago. I gazed lovingly at the recipe and at other bloggers' photos and raves, regularly.

And last week, we finally made them!



Here are the breaded tempeh pieces coming out of the oven, ready to be drenched in the tangy and spicy buffalo sauce.



And here is the finished product, with carrots and celery adding that essential contrasting crunch. Gorgeous, aren't they? Next time, I will make the sauce even hotter, because being a resident of upstate NY, I love me some HOT wings. Also, I'm working on a blue cheese recipe that would be the ideal accompaniment to these... stay tuned for that.



Daiku and I were invited to a dessert/wine party last week, and I decided to make the chai latte cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. They were fun to make, and even funner to decorate:



Here's the stencil I made to decorate the cupcakes with. Notice I accidentally created little gingerbread men-looking cut-outs in the corners!



Unfortunately, the men didn't make it onto the cupcakes, since the stencil was too big. But these were fun little cuppers anyway! I made a mistake and put in too little flour into the batter, so it was very liquid - fortunately, this didn't affect the taste or texture of the finished result one bit.

So, I have all the ingredients I need to make the DEOTS buffalo wings again- I promise it won't be months before that happens!


Share/Save/Bookmark

24 comments:

Vegan_Noodle said...

I have been meaning to make those buffalo wings as well!! This is a good reminder.
Love your cupcakes, the stencil is such a cute idea. :-)

Jody from VegChic said...

Hi Bazu! Hope you and Daiku are doing ok during this crazy storm!

I've been lurking here, but unfortunately lazy about commenting. Thanks for your emails too.

I'm sooo impressed with how you decorated those cupcakes. Why didn't I think of that?

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to make those wings too. Must buy tempeh... Fortunately, I've already got the zine.

MeloMeals said...

I have that zine too.. and have been eyeballing that recipe... you have inspired me to make it! It looks delicious.

I love your cuppers.. and can't wait to see what you have in mind for bleu cheese dressing!

Anonymous said...

Those cupcakes are such a neat idea! I love the little heart =)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Judy said...

Aw, I love the cupcakes!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

yeah, i need to make those hot wings too. i never by tempeh for some reason, so i can never just make them whenever. maybe i'll wait for yr blue cheeze recipe???
cute cupcakes!

aTxVegn said...

I've never had vegan or nonvegan wings. I would love the extra spicy buffalo sauce though.

Nice job on the stencil and cupcakes!

Cakespy said...

Those little hearts on the cupcakes are so freakin' cute I want to bang my head against the wall. After eating one, of course.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I need to be next to the wingz party! I should have made them months ago as well.
Adorable cupcakes! I love the stencil.

urban vegan said...

I never understood the mystique of buffalo wings--but vegan buffalo wings?! I could certainly get into those. They look marvy. And you stenciled cuppers are cute and creative.

Anonymous said...

hi, Bazu! Here's a recipe for vegan blue cheese that I found on Veggie Boards, courtesy of Blue Plastic Straw. I've made a few modifications and I really like this! (http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=65401)

1/4 C extra firm (silken or regular) or firm tofu crumbled, drained, patted dry
1 small garlic clove minced
1/4 C lemon juice
scant 1/2 C vegan mayo (Vegenaise)
2 T tahini
2 tsp white miso
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 T fresh parsley
pinch pepper and salt


Combine in a food processor and enjoy. I find that this only keeps for 1-2 days in the fridge.

health,
Skippy in Homer, AK

T said...

Oh man, those look awesome! Everyone has been raving about that recipe, looks like I'm gonna have to try it too. I used to work in a restaurant that made hot wings- the sauce is like 5 sticks of butter and bottle of hot sauce. Bleh.

Here's another recipe for blue cheese dressing from Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan. I've been meaning to try it, but is it weird to say it will freak me out if it tastes too much like the real thing?!

vko said...

Hi Bazu! finally back and trying to do some catch up- those wings are pure yum yum yum.

Hope you guys are well!
x

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

ooh, save the stencil for when you have something bigger, the gingerbread people are too cool!

I get scared of the amount of marg in that recipe. And I can never find tempeh. But I feel I've vicariously noshed upon them, so yes do please make a bleu cheese and post again! :p

bazu said...

thank you for your comments (and recipe ideas), everyone!

Liz, I think you could decrease the amount of margarine in the recipe without too much trouble- and keep in mind that it's for a whole package of tempeh, so to me it doesn't actually seem like that much. If you like buffalo wings, you've got to try these at least once!

Rachael said...

I had the biggest craving for buffalo wings the other day...wish I had known about this recipe then! Those look awesome, as do the cupcakes. Everyone is making such pretty cupcakes and cakes lately, and I have to wait until March for a reason to bake a pretty cake!

Anonymous said...

cute cupcakes and yummy food!

thanks for the email :)

anna/village vegan said...

I'm drooling. (And I just finished a big lunch!)

Those look SO good. Like you I've wanted to make those wings for ages...but unlike you I still haven't done it. Crazy, I know. I can't get tempeh here, so I think I'll give them a try with tofu instead.

Thanks for reminding me!

SaraJane said...

I recently made those same little hot-"wing" thingies. Personally, I didn't really like the sauce. I thought it was too sweet and ketchupy-tasting and definitely not hot enough. I loved the tempeh and the breading and all that jazz. I even tried frying a couple of them to see if it would change the flavor/texture versus baking them. I think I like them baked best - not so greasy that way.

gc said...

all of that food looks amazing! and the cupcakes are so cutE!

Veggie said...

Your tempeh wingz look amazing! I have to try those very soon.

toro said...

I am Jpanease.
So it was very interesting contents, and links.
If it's okay, my blog also links please.
Hobbies, wrote a lot about ice cream.