Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Happy Halloween!




Halloween is a real foodie holiday, isn't it? There is something so primal about a holiday celebrating the time of harvest, and paying respect to Mother Earth, the circle of life and death, the fragile interconnection of all things, and delicious seasonal foods and drinks, of course.

Last Saturday, Daiku and I threw a party, and asked our friends to come in costume!



He went as the Unabomber, complete with manifestos to hand out to guests.



I went as Jim Jones, complete with Kool-Aid (i.e. sangria) for everyone to drink. (How did both of us manage to go as sociopathic men with aviator glasses? Sometimes the stars align, I guess...)



Here are Trac and Bridget. Bridget came as Freddy Krueger, and Trac came as...



...a Freudian slip. She's wearing a slip...



...and it's a Freudian one. Isn't this the most wonderful idea for a costume? (Anyone recognize the scene illustrated above? C'mon, let your inner Freud nerd shine!)



Here's one of our tiny little Jack O'Lanterns... am I a freak because I grow attached to my pumpkins and can't bear to cut into them? (Celine, do you recognize the eyes and mouth?)



I was so excited about this- Bridget made LindyLoo's bloody finger cookies!! I'd been wanting to eat these since seeing them on her blog last year. They were really good- and we even had a little playful fighting over who would get the last index finger and the last pinkie! (Ok, the fighting was between our youngest guests, but you get the idea...)



Daiku made some Autumnal sushi: sweet potato and radish (dyed pink with beet juice) with black and white (wild and sushi) rice or green rice. The green rice was a variety that we came across last month called "green bamboo rice" that we'd never seen before. It retains its jewel-like tone even when cooked. Pretty cool. At some point, I realized that we were assuming a huge amount of veggie love on the part of our guests to be serving them sushi made with cooked radishes dyed with beet juice! But no worries, these were all gobbled up. They totally looked like tuna rolls, too.



Some sourdough mini calzones, half with a tofu feta/spinach "spanakopita" style filling, and the other half with a spicy tomato sauce/broccoli combination.



Mini phyllo cups filled with chocolate mousse, some topped with raspberries (lovingly preserved from our raspberry picking adventures). The chocolate mousse is from the recipe in "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World"- I replaced the soy milk with soy nog for an extra holiday-flavored kick. Take it from me- you don't need cupcakes to make and enjoy this mousse! It's so incredibly rich, and feels decadent, although its main ingredient is silken tofu.



And there was so much more, so I decided to create the above mosaic. (Click on it to enlarge) Can you find...
  • sweet 'n spicy toasted nuts? (made with brown and maple sugars, cayenne, chili, cinnamon, oregano and cumin, inspired by this recipe at 28 Cooks)
  • a Middle Eastern carrot dip, served with fresh-made sourdough bread and toasted coconut? (thanks to Emilie for recipe)
  • Jack O'Lantern in front of the fire?
  • pomegranate seeds? (served to be reminiscent of Persephone in the underworld)
  • a table decorated with freshly fallen leaves from the backyard?
  • various naughty things being done with finger cookies?
  • Celine's insanely addictive cheesy quackers made with whole wheat flour? (or maybe they were ghosts...)
  • a trio of dips, including tofu feta, feta/spinach, and kalamata olive/fig?
  • Trac's mini pumpkin bundt cakes and pretzel/chocolate spiders?
  • crudités and other foods with creepy crawly spiders over them?
Overall, it was a really fun night, and I want to thank all our guests for coming and for your wonderful costumes and good cheer!

Some observations: the soundtrack to the movie The Gift is very spooky and perfect for a Halloween party. Hellraiser? Awesome movie to have running silently in the background during said party. And cranberries in sangria? Pretty damn good!

I hope everyone has a happy and (forgive me, I have to say it) spooktacular Halloween!


Share/Save/Bookmark

31 comments:

Unilove said...

Happy Halloween! I'd take some of your treats over tricks! :)Amazing photos and fun posts... your calzones look so yummy!

Teresa said...

Wow you had one awesome party! I wish I could have been there. And your costume is perfect- I love the Kool Aid picture.

I would not have been able to stay away from that sushi! It looks delish!

Is the jack-o-lantern from veggie tales?

Have a great Halloween!

Unknown said...

if I had to choose one thing out of this whole post? it'd either be you or the mini calzones!

Unknown said...

ps: yes! the stickers, ha.

jenny said...

I love your costumes!!!

Sarah P said...

the "freudian slip" = genius.

did you put whole cranberries in the sangria? do anything to them first?

Bridget said...

Rolling on the floor laughing!!! Tracy's butt in on your blog...ha, ha, ha....

You guys know how to throw a party. The food was sooooooo good and we had a blast. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

great food!!!

Veggie Cookster said...

Awesome photos!!! The finger cookies look realistic yet delicious in an oddly strange way, LOL Looks like a great time was had by all! :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

oh my goodness the Freudian Slip costume made me laugh out loud - so clever!!! Oh how I WISH I could attend one of your parties, Bazu - especially this Halloween celebration!! So much good food, fun, and great company!! :0)

Rachael said...

awesome food and costumes. Those pictures are making me hungry!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Looks like a festive party! I love all the costumes...so creative. And the food, wow. I don't know what I would dive into first....

Anonymous said...

Excellent costumes!! I wish I had been so clever, but alas, I'm without anything fun to dress up in tonight. I'm totally envious of your Halloween bash!

Emilie said...

Holy fantastic!! or is that UNholy...?

bazu said...

Thanks, everyone! Believe me, I wish you all could have been at the party.

Vegetalion, for the sangria, we used oranges, cranberries, and frozen peaches and raspberries from the summer. We muddled the fruit with a little bit of apple juice concentrate for a few hours, to let them macerate and let out their juices. Then, we added red wine and let that sit for a while. To serve, we poured the mixture in glasses and added a little bit of seltzer to the top. It was good, because it wasn't too sweet, but it had a kick.

Ashasarala said...

Wow. I would LOVE to go to one of your parties. All the food looks so yummy. Halloween is my favourite holiday and I usually go all-out with my costume. Like, over-the-top. This year, unfortunately, I was very sick much of September and October was filled with preparation for my band's big gig last Sunday, so nothing got done! I am very sad that I am missing out on Halloween.

So, other than living vicariously through awesome blogs, such as yours, I decided to not let Halloween slip completely through the cracks! I am making those finger cookies tonight from the link you sent me on Isa's page (I'm Suzie). I can't wait to try them!

Happy Halloween!

runswithdog said...

My butt? Ha ha ha? You find that funny, Bridget? How about Bridget was so hungover from scarfing all the sangria, ha ha ha! LOL

It was great going to a party with people who could appreciate and understand the significance of my rendition of the wolves in the tree....that still really cracks *me* up!

Nicole said...

Looks like you throw a great party! I wish we could've made it! Hubby's department at work dressed up like disco guys today and they won the costume/decorate your work area contest... we just got cookies from our Dean today (not vegan though).
Happy Halloween!

SaraJane said...

The food all looks awesome! I love the sushi, especially. What a great idea.

The costumes rule. Funny, I went as a Freudian Slip a few years ago as well. hehe. Always a good one.

TB said...

happy halloween! your party looks like it was so fun and what a spread! those finger cookies are grossing me out, but in a good way :)

Anonymous said...

What a great party! Diaku's sushi looks amazing--it is so beautiful!

And those finger cookies look freakishly realistic...

It looks and sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Courtney

theONLYtania said...

Ahhh awesome! Daiku is creeping me out! I don't know who Jim Jones is...
Those finger cookies look awesome.. and creepy. Good work! I would like to see the inside of one of those calzones! It sounds amazing.
Well that party just looks and sounds so cool, I'm jealous!

urban vegan said...

What a great party you throw--with fab food and funny costumes (Freudian Slip--too cute.) Two years ago we had a party and tow of our friends came as matching iPods.

scottishvegan said...

That looks like such a fun party, but those finger cookies are a bit too freaky for me! I love the idea of sticking a face on your pumpkin instead of cutting it, much less messy! :)

Rural Vegan said...

Your party looks like so much fun! But I'm really going to need to talk to you about those calzones. I need them!!

Soleil said...

Looks like so much fun! I definitely want to try the phyllo cups and spanakopita calzones. But those finger cookies are really disturbing. :D

Anonymous said...

I really like the costumes! I lime trac's costume the most I think, although you and daiku look really crazy and awesome. I wish we had halloween in sweden.. dumb sweden!

Kati said...

Aww, I'm sorry we missed out - it looks like a great party. Those finger cookies are amazingly realistic! And you and Daiku did such a good job with your costumes - it's a little unnerving!

dreamy said...

Wow! That must be fun! The first pic gave me a scare though :o but the fingers were really impressive! We don't really celebrate halloween here, but it's fun looking at what u've got :)

MeloMeals said...

Wow.. everything looks amazing. I hope you had a ball in NYC.. fun times!

Seitan Wörshipper said...

Wow, your Halloween cookings looks nice! Excpesially I think those "bloody fingers" looks terrible good, and sushie`s are very tasty looking also ;)