Monday, February 19, 2007

Brrrrr! and cupcakes

My trip to New York City last week was filled with contrasts- attending a professional conference by day, hanging out with friends by night. Hearing talks on art history and browsing museums while also indulging my vegan and foodie interests. And most of all, dealing with bone-chilling cold and slushy snow outside while finding all kinds of coziness indoors. The following photos will give some sense of my experiences...



On Tuesday night, all was well. As this dragon danced his way up to Times Square to celebrate the upcoming Chinese New Year, there was no hint of...



The blizzard that would hit the city the next day. (Above you see the New York City Public Library) I had never seen such miserable conditions, and I'm sure a lot of people all accross the country feel the same way. The city of New York, in its infinite wisdom, decided not to plow or shovel the snow. As I commuted from the Bronx to midtown Manhattan every day, I slushed through brownish snow sludge. Guess what? My boots were not waterproof!



On a cold Saturday, I slushed my way to MooShoes to meet Sarah Kramer and have her sign a book for my cousin. Sarah was such a sweetie!



Here are the cupcakes, cookies, and brownies that accompanied Sarah's appearance.



After grabbing my autograph and a ginormous cupcake, (and browsing fab vegan shoes) I headed next door to one of my all-time favorite bookstores, Bluestockings. It is a "radical bookstore, fair-trade cafe, and activist center", owned and run by some awesome people, with a great selection of books and journals. I grabbed a coffee to go with my peanut butter cupcake, grabbed some books on state repression and whatnot, and relaxed in the warm and cozy cafe.



With the bookstore mascot curled up next to me. She is possibly the cutest puppy in the world.



With these opportunities for nourishing the mind, soul, and tummy, a little bone-chilling below-freezing face-numbing cold is o.k., right?

Happy Chinese New Year to everyone! I will post a bit more about New York City this week, including a restaurant review or two...

Store Information:

MooShoes (vegan shoestore)
152 Allen Street
NYC | 10002 | USA

Directions:
Take the F train to 2nd Avenue

Bluestockings Books
172 Allen Street
New York, New York 10002

Share/Save/Bookmark

13 comments:

Amey said...

Oh Fun!
Even in the snow, NYC looks like fun to me. Especially all the art and vegan fun... sigh! How great that your visit coincided with a Sarah Kramer book signing! And you got a free cupcake... score. Glad you made it back safely, and I hope your feet have warmed up!
:)

Theresa said...

Despite the cold, it looks like you had a good time. Maybe you should have gotten some water- and snow-proof vegan boots while you were at mooshoes ;)

Emmy said...

Ugh, what yucky weather you had to deal with. So sorry to hear your boots weren't waterproof :( Ick!

What a lovely pick of you and Sarah Kramer. How cool you got to meet her in person :) Those baked goods at her appearance look scrumptious! Bluestockings sounds like an awesome bookstore. Happy Chinese New Year to you too.

laura k said...

I'm glad you're back! It sounds like you had a good trip, albeit cold. That's a great photo of you and Sarah... and a great one of the cupcakes...

Sarah Kramer said...

So great to meet you!
Thanks for coming out.
xoxo
SARAH

Kati said...

It looks like you had a fun trip, even if it was work-travel. My those cupcakes look decadent! I would have picked a peanut butter one, too. The puppy in the bookstore is sooo cute! I will definitely check that place out, as well as the infamous MooShoes, whenever I get back to NYC. Chicago really needs a vegan shoe store...

It's also cool that you got to meet Sarah Kramer...and look, she commented on your blog! :D

wheresmymind said...

Slush + non waterproof boots = no fun! :Z

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous! Mostly of the pb cupcake. Haha! That pic of you and Sarah is so great. I'm glad you got the chance to meet her.

vko said...

Hi Bazu!

Yes, lucky you arrived into town with the snow in tow! Didn't make it down to MooShoes, sorry to have missed the fun, those cupcakes look yummy!

Did you make it to Sacred Chow this time? or anywhere else fun?

aTxVegn said...

That looks like such a fun trip, despite the cold! And so cool you got a picture taken with Sarah Kramer. I would have loved to have seen the Chinese New Year parade.

KleoPatra said...

Can i just say what a GREAT post this is?! The pup's a highlight for me. Super cool, Bazu.

urban vegan said...

Looks like you had a great trip! Except for the cold. We have the same weather as NYC, so I can sympathize. I usually walk to work, but I took the subway every day last week. Brrrr-sky.It's going to be 48 in Philly today--a veritable heat wave. Woo-hoo!

And what a gorgeous photo of you in your hood.

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

NEW YORK through your eyes is awesome! and you met Sarah -- how cool is that?! Sorry your boots aren't water-proof, but you sure are pretty in your hoodie. :o)