Tuesday, April 29, 2008

triple the fun: veggie food in Northern Virginia




As I mentioned previously, I spent a week at my mom's place for spring break earlier in the month. I got to relax, enjoy seeing family and friends, and of course eat a lot of good food! Anyone who has visited the Northern Virginia/Metro D.C. region knows that they are not lacking for vegetarian dining of all kinds. When I visit, I tend to venture into D.C. to try out the great selection of restaurants, but this time around I decided to stick to the Virginia side of the river. Here are my reviews of the three restaurants that I got to try. (For a complete listing of all vegan, vegetarian, and veg-friendly restaurants in Northern Virginia, D.C., and Maryland, make sure to check out this fabulous list by VegDC- this was my starting point)



While browsing the list, Happy Family caught my attention. First of all, their location in Falls Church makes them very close to my mom's place, and second of all, they have an entire section of their menu dedicated to veggie meat dishes. As most of you know, I am endlessly fascinated by vegetarian meat creations, so I wanted to try this place out. As you can see from the photo above, the restaurant itself is very small and run-down. That didn't matter to us, though, since we were getting our food to go.



My mom ordered the spicy eggplant with garlic sauce, a dish that both of us regularly order in Chinese restaurants.



I got an order of spicy Szechuan chicken and veggies. I loved the texture of the seitan and veggies, and thought the dish was pretty spicy (although I wouldn't have minded if it was even more so!). My mom and I both liked our dishes, but found them to be a little under-flavored and overpriced compared to other take-out style Chinese restaurants in the region. If you have a particular craving for mock meats and are in the neighborhood, Happy Family is worth checking out, but I wouldn't describe it as outstanding.

Next up, a blogger meet-up! I met Ryan (of Veg Blog fame) for lunch at A Taste of Burma restaurant. You might remember my previous write-up of another Burmese restaurant, Myanmar, in Virginia (here), where I professed my love for the cuisine. This lunch only solidified my love.



Ryan had the green tea leaf salad, which is a refreshing and unique dish that you have to try at least once in your life.



I decided to go for the tamarind veggie curry, which was phenomenal. It was a mixture of a ton of veggies (cabbage, mushrooms, carrots, green beans, eggplant, onions, and more) and two kinds of tofu (baked and deep-fried) in a bright and tangy tamarind base, all topped with cilantro, and it was awesome. I can still taste it now, and I know that I will always want to go out for Burmese food when I visit my mom from here on out. It was also very fun to meet and get to talk with a fellow blogger- a definite highlight of my trip!



I had heard whisperings about a new vegetarian restaurant called Lotus in Chantilly, and I convinced my mom and my aunt to go there with me the day before I left. I had heard that the owner used to work at Sunflower, the famous veggie landmark, so it seemed worth a try. (You can read my write-up of Sunflower here) My aunt is very cautious about trying new foods, so I appreciate both her and my mom for humoring me. Lotus' menu is pretty large, and clearly distinguishes vegan and vegetarian dishes from one another. I was disappointed that there were no vegan desserts, but that didn't prove to be a problem as the three of us stuffed ourselves on our lunch dishes!



We started with an order of summer rolls which turned out to be my favorite. A crisp combination of tofu and veggies wrapped in a soft rice paper wrapper, and dipped in a sweet and sour peanut-y sauce definitely satisfied my cravings.



My aunt went for the house salad, a combination of field greens topped with carrots, apples, sunflower seeds, crispy soy nuts, and a delicious house dressing.



My mom ordered the Manchurian palate, hoping for a spicy dish, which she got! Spicy seitan chicken nuggets, along with crisp red and green peppers in a nice sauce came atop a bed of steamed cauliflower, along with a side of brown rice. I loved the emphasis on healthy ingredients at Lotus, where steamed veggies and brown rice were plentiful.



I ordered the tempeh sandwich, which the menu said came with cheese. When I asked them to not include the cheese, the server very kindly told me that the sandwich also had mayo, and asked whether I would also like to omit that, which I of course did. I love the little luxuries of veg restaurants, where they are mindful of the ingredients and the potential preferences of their customers to such a degree. My double-decker sandwich was awesome even without cheese and mayo- the tempeh bacon had a perfectly smoky flavor and crisp texture, and the tofu and veggies brought it all together. My aunt got to try tempeh for the first time by sampling my sandwich, and she loved it. The order also came with a small side salad.

Overall, Lotus Vegetarian was a good restaurant, but it definitely does not reach the levels of flavor that I experienced at Sunflower. It is awesome to see a restaurant of its kind in the neighborhood, though, and I would definitely go back for more healthy fare. Next time, I'm going to have to try one of their intriguing smoothies.

Restaurant Information:

Happy Family
301 South Washington St
Falls Church, VA 22046
(703) 534-3838

A Taste of Burma
126 Edds Ln.
Sterling, VA 20165
703-444-8510

Lotus Vegetarian
13872 Metrotech Dr
Chantilly, VA 20151
(703) 378-6888


Share/Save/Bookmark

30 comments:

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

everything looks fantastic!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

wow, who knew that Virginia could be so deliciously vegan-friendly?? excellent!!

Anonymous said...

wow! that's awesome! you just inspired me to do the same for vegas! ... i think i need to do some research...

aTxVegn said...

Man, that food all looks so good!

I'm glad you tried the berbere spice. I love it and throw a pinch into all kinds of dishes.

I hate to go to my mailbox. It's not near as fun as yours.

KitteeBee said...

I can't believe you dragged your mom and Aunt out to Chantilly. You crazy, y'heard?

xo
kittee

KitteeBee said...

Oh, also. I LOVE Happy Family. I usually go there at least once when I'm home. Did you notice how they misspelled vegetarian on the menu? I've never seen the word butchered so badly before...

xo
kittee

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Mmm, veggie travels! I may get out to DC some time this year, so this could come in use!

Anonymous said...

Green tea leaf salad? Okay, now you've given me something new to dream about!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Never would have thought Northern Virginia would be such a veggie heaven! I now need to find me some Burmese food to try, your curry looks delicious!

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

Ack, I'm composed of jealous! That sandwich... is kinda looking like the side of a sedimentary mountain made of delicious, which makes no sense, but is true. :o

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

That sandwich looks awesome! Yum!

Amey said...

Well, I always find that it's great fun trying new veg spots, even if they don't turn out the be the best meal you've ever had. It's just neat to explore what's out there, and support the effort. The Burmese place looks neat.

:) Amey

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I've only been to Virginia once (I think I was 6 years old?) so I've never even thought about what vegan options might exist there. Good to know the places you visited were so accommodating!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Now that's a sandwich I'd like to sink my teeth into!

Matt and Bobbie said...

Wow! Tofu AND tempeh in the same sandwich! You just blew my mind.

Theresa said...

Wow, Virginia looks like a little veggie mecca! That sandwich looks really good.

Kimberly said...

Thanks for the link to veg-friendly restaurants! Good old Washington Deli... when I lived in DC, I worked across the street from that place. Their vegan pizza was not bad!

In NoVa, I was always happy with Golden Dragon in Alexandria... it's a pretty basic Chinese/sushi joint, but great food and they are super-attentive when it comes to accommodating dietary restrictions. I recommend the yu-shang eggplant or the tofu with asparagus :)

The Vegan Countess said...

Well, that is worth the trip!

Avery Yale Kamila said...

Yum! I want to visit VA!

Anonymous said...

If I visit VA in next winter then how it will be? I think it will be great! cause it is a nice place. Thank you for your post and this information.

Bee Roach said...

The tempeh sandwich is making me drool.

trina said...

I think that the softest place in my heart is reserved for Burmese food. Thanks for the Virginia dining tips!

urban vegan said...

Looks like I have to get down to Reston to visit my brother-in-law pronto!

SaraJane said...

Well, look at that. There's hope for the south yet. ;) I'm from Virginia, though the southeastern part, and it was always difficult to find vegetarian food. It was nearly impossible to find vegan food. I remember going to a restaurant once and asking if their beans were cooked in lard or animal fat and explained why I was asking. The waiter said no, it would be fine. Then I get my meal and the beans were mixed with chunks of ham!!!

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Oh fun! I always love hearing about vegetarian restaurants in other places... even if I will never get there, I love to hear what other people order and what they liked and didn't, and why. Yum! Thanks, great reviews.

Carrie™ said...

All of the food you had looks and sounds delicious. Veg restaurants (and veg people) are the best!!
When do you leave for GB?

Anonymous said...

wow! the picture of the food are really good. I think the food is also delicious. So, I need to go that Restaurant for taking the original test of this food. Thanks for your post!

The Vegan Revolution said...

Oooh! I'm planning to move to DC at the end of the year. I will definitely try out these yummy looking restaurants. Thanks for the suggestions!

Anonymous said...

Wow, now that is a sandwich!! Great share, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Seems delicious food :) I'll definitely go to any of these restaurants when i'll visit Virginia.