Sunday, April 06, 2008

gifts that keep on giving


It's ridiculous to be blogging about Christmas gifts 5 months after the fact, right? But I just had to take a moment to talk about 2 amazing gifts that I've been using ever since then.




First, this cutting board from Bridget. It's gorgeous, isn't it? What's even more wonderful is that it's handmade by her husband. I have always admired this kind of artistry and woodworking, and now I have a beautiful example of it in my kitchen.



I've decided to devote it to bread baking. So if you're ever at my house and I offer you a slice of homemade bread, you'll know where it came from!



Second, a gift from Bridget and Trac: homemade ravioli!



Daiku and I were so lucky to be on the receiving end of so many hours of their labor! We got several filling flavors, including tofu/spinach (pictured above), pumpkin, and sun-dried tomato. Since we got these ravioli the day before we left for L.A., we froze them, and so had a stockpile of delicious home-made food when we came back.



It was only last week that we finally finished them -vegan ravioli is a rare treat to be savored, after all! They were so flavorful that the best way to eat them was the simplest- here you see the ravioli with a few pieces of sausage, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, some chopped parsley, and generous amounts of sea salt and fresh pepper.

Wow.

A belated thank you to you ladies!


Share/Save/Bookmark

22 comments:

Unknown said...

"if you're ever at my house"
is that an invitation??

Amey said...

wow! What lovely gifts!

I'm busy coveting your beautiful cutting board, and drooling over the amazing ravioli!! I've done homemade ravioli a few times... it's fun, but it's a LOT of work. That's some serious generosity to surrender piles of homemade rav!

:)Amey

madeinalaska said...

I must say that is quite a beautiful cutting board! ohh and homemade ravioli.. you are a very lucky girl!

Scott at Real Epicurean said...

I'm a big fan of giving (ok, receiving) food as presents. It's so personal and unique!

Anonymous said...

That cutting board is gorgeous! Your bread looks perfect, by the way!

Courtney

Kate said...

The is the most amazing cutting board i have ever seen!

Bridget said...

Bill is just over the moon that you put the cutting board on your blog. He loves making things that he knows people will enjoy.

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

kitchen and food gifts are the best, especially if they are homemade! that cutting board is beautiful.

aTxVegn said...

That cutting board is gorgeous! It sure puts out nice bread.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

That cutting board is insanely gorgeous! Also, I would love to come over for fresh bread!

Judy said...

I never knew a cutting board could make such a statement.

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

Wow that ravioli looks amazing! YUM.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

what thoughtful, delicious gifts!

urban vegan said...

Homemade gifts are the most precious, aren't they? Wonderful!

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

I've seen cutting boards like that at craft fairs here in Seattle. For a LOT of money! You are so lucky! It's beautiful!

urban vegan said...

What's this I hear about England? Do tell!

MeloMeals said...

What a gorgeous work of art that board is.. wow!

Homemade vegan food from people you love... that is the ultimate gift.

Doodleyboo said...

Congrats on your move to England! I can't wait to hear about your adventures over there. I particularly liked your post on your Paris trip. BTW, you make make ravioli with Chinese wonton/potsticker wrappers (just watch out for the egg ones). It's super easy! All you need to do is make a filling.

Vegan_Noodle said...

That cutting board is gorgeous. And vegan ravioli.... score!! It's Christmas in the spring!

runswithdog said...

The cutting board is absolutely ravishing, isn't it? I keep mine out on the counter all the time - I like it on display!

trina said...

What great presents! And your bread looks pretty good too!

Mikaela said...

Wow... that cutting board is gorgeous!