Thursday, July 02, 2009

jojo visits!



Ok, ok, I promised cute animals, so I'll start with the post that will give you all the cute critters you can handle! Back in May, Daiku and I were so happy to have a visit from Jojo. She and I met when we visited Brighton back in November, a meet-up I wrote about here. When Jojo decided to come visit New York, I decided to try and lure her up to Syracuse with milkshakes. It worked!



The first night, I decided to go for a home-cooked comfort meal of mac&cheese with cut-up hot dogs. (New Farm mac&cheese recipe). As you can see, we tried to "health up" the meal with some peas and tomatoes.



Of course, no trip to Syracuse is complete without a visit (or 2) to Strong Hearts Cafe. Above, you have Jojo's chocolate/mint cupcake- how gorgeous is that?



Milkshakes, of course.



A favorite of both of us, the Egg Trick Muffin. This little sandwich is so savory and satisfying- a nutritional yeasty tofu egg, melted Teese mozarella, and sausage, all on a toasted english muffin. Yum.



One of my new favorites from the Strong Hearts menu- on the outside it looks like a huge but innocent stack of french toast.



Only to reveal peanut butter, jelly, and bananas hidden on the inside! So good, and enough for 2 people, seriously.

We took a road trip to Farm Sanctuary. We saw lots of cute animals there! But wait, just a little more food first, ok?



We went to ABC Cafe in Ithaca, where Jojo and Daiku ordered veggie burgers, above.



I went for the tempeh arizona sandwich, grilled marinated tempeh topped with heaps of avocado and a fabulous lemon-tahini sauce.



Somehow, we managed to save room for dessert! Above, you have Jojo's brownie, full of yummy walnuts. It was dense and fudgey, and she prefers a more cake-like brownie... which means yours truly scored a bunch of leftovers! ;-)



Daiku and I shared this gigantic slice of carrot cake. It was so moist and full of carrots and raisins, and the frosting was a pleasant surprise- coconutty and sticky and mmmmm.

All in all, Jojo and I got to enjoy several days of vegan heaven- and Daiku and I miss her! Ok, if you've read this far, you deserve some animal photos as a reward! Here are some of the residents of Farm Sanctuary in Watkins Glen. Enjoy!











Share/Save/Bookmark

27 comments:

No More Sad Geraniums said...

It looks like JoJo's visit was so much fun! I can't wait to visit Strong Hearts, ABC, and Watkins Glen myself!!!

KitteeBee said...

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh and ahhhhhhhhh!
you didn't happen to meet a sheep named grace did'ya??

xo
kittee

celine said...

you are making it impossible not to plan a visit, like, right this second. I love me some Bazu and wants to hug-a-thon her right now.
the bunny pic, the piggy pic, the cat-following-Daiku pic...I could cry.

Emmy said...

Love the animal pics. Oh wow, that french toast looks delightful! How could you add peas to your mac & cheese Bazu? LOL

T said...

Oooh, everything looks delicious, especially the egg trick muffin. I get something like that here in DC. YUM!

And that picture with you and the goat is just priceless. :)

Anonymous said...

Yay--a post! And I LOVE the ABC cafe! I miss Ithaca :-(

Courtney

Stella said...

This is a great post! Love the Trick Egg and the bunnies!

Amey said...

how fun! how awesome that you are close enough to Farm Sanctuary to take visitors there! All those animals are such super cuties.

The french toast extraveganza, and the Egg Trick Muffin both look soooo good. Probably because I haven't even had brekkie yet. I need to go eat!

Tami said...

Wow, what a post! When you come back you really come back! Food is awesome, animals are awesome, YOU are awesome!

panda with cookie said...

Ithaca!
Jojo!
Bazu!

Carlota said...

Bazuu!
I just love this post! One day, when I can afford a trip brazil-ny I'll definitly go to farm sanctuary!

beijos

vegan.in.brighton said...

Bazu! I love this post...I totally miss you and Strong Hearts and Farm Sanctuary. I'll be back!

Unilove said...

Yay!!! You posted! And, the wait WAS worth it :)

Peace, Love and Veganism said...

Yay! We're headed there in October for our anniversary!

Theresa said...

zomg, that cupcake! It's like a work of art! Everything else looks really great, too. I haven't had mac&cheese with hot dogs since I was a kid, but now you've given me a craving. And PB& banana french toast? Genius!

Cute cute animals!

ms. teacakes said...

First off! Mac and cheese, peas, and hot dogs has been a childhood favorite or mine between my best friend and I! It's so cool you share a similar fav!

It's cool seeing the local places you've been taking your friend too. I've been slowly getting around to them.

:)

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Oh MAN! I wish I could have been there with you & Jojo! That French Toast looks amazing & CHICKEN BUTTS!

Lindy Loo said...

Totally not vegan-related, but I seriously adore your hair, woman. Sweet jesus, if MY hair would look like that short, I would cut it off in a SECOND! =)

Sarah P said...

omg i need to go back to strong hearts again!

Crystal said...

Love all the animals :)

The egg trick muffin looks delish.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your Farm Sanctuary photos. I hope I'll have the chance to go there someday.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

i wish strong hearts wasn't so far from me it's delicious

i could really go for one of their milkshakes