Saturday, April 04, 2009

berlin!


Ok, this post is gigantic. What can I say. Berlin is my favorite city in the world, and it's a vegan/green living mecca. In exchange for posting tons of photos, I will not use any words. If you want specific information about anything or any place you see, feel free to ask me. For comprehensive vegan Berlin information, look at this post on the PPK, where Sarahbean and Mihl posted hugely valuable information. Their lists were basically our guides! And, I got to meet so many awesome vegans and bloggers on this trip, including Mihl and Ditte. This was an amazing trip. Berlin, ich liebe dich!



latté made with soy milk



munching on a hawaii burger at yo-yo



jojo enjoys one of our many many cupcakes from Cupcake (yes, jojo from Brighton)



yes, vegetarian doner!



vegan gummi bears- seriously addictive



yet another Soyamilchkaffee



lemon cupcake!



apple tart with vegan whipped cream



vegan brunch. plate 1 of many...



our group came from 5 different cities and most of us crashed together- so fun!



yay photobooths!



Mihl & bazu, about to enjoy some fine German beer



Sudanese vegan food.



you heard me right.



another vegan restaurant, co-owned by an Iranian-German lady. um. vegan Iranian German food.



you heard me right.



^ this is where you find it. It's in the Kreuzberg neighborhood.



Berlin has many, many healthfood stores, including an all-vegan supermarket! Above you see that Germans have a huge selection of veggie spreads and pates to choose from



soup,



and hot dog at Hot Dog Soup. That's what they serve!



Lots of different hot dogs, including hawaii dog, above.



the last 3 remaining Berlin revelers, right before leaving our hostel room...

This post didn't even scratch the surface! The one thing everyone can agree that Berlin is is OVERWHELMING. you can see the rest of my photos from this trip here.


Share/Save/Bookmark

24 comments:

Foodeater said...

I can't wait to visit this gorgeous city! Your post has been saved in my "what to do & eat when I get to Berlin" file... thanks for doing the dirty work ;)

Kari Sullivan said...

I was just watching a PBS show about Berlin a couple nights ago, and I've been dreaming of going there ever since. I'm glad to see that it's much more vegan friendly than I imagined.

bazu said...

I'd say Berlin is one of the top 3 or 4 vegan-friendly cities of the world!

nana said...

amazing!

long-time reader, first-time commenter. i'm going to berlin (and brussels, and amsterdam) for a bit in june, and i'm so happy i read this post. the friend i'm going with isn't vegan, neither are the friends i'm staying with, so i was getting a little worried.

do you think you could give me some more specific tips on where to go?

Unilove said...

welcome back to blogging, bazu :)
missed you

you've been twitterific :)

Nicole said...

CUPCAKES! Gosh, I love cupcake photos :D

Mihl said...

Bazu, ich liebe DICH! Waht a great post. You've been to way more places than I have. I have to checke all of them out, especially Nil. We have to do this again!

Tami said...

What am amazing post! I love all your travels. I'm in awe of all that great food, too. What in the world is Sudanese food? Looks so good!

MeloMeals said...

Wow! You got some awesome eats and how cool you got to meet up with some lovely vegan bloggers!

Carlota said...

I'm going to Berlin in December and I would like to know if you have some address of the restaurants and the supermarket. Love your post! Also, I'm going to London after Berlin, you have some tips?
=**

No More Sad Geraniums said...

Oh wow, I lived there for a summer, and I still didn't go to every single one of those places. Impressive. I'll have to reference that thread again.

Even months after leaving, I still get cravings for Vöner. Funny but true.

T said...

Yay, I'm so glad you posted this! I'm going to Berlin in a month and even though I've been a few times, I've yet to find all the great vegan places. Looking at these pictures gets me so excited to go back!

ditte said...

somehow this is a bit sad to "read". we had so much fun, and i totally want to go back with you guys. berlin is wonderful, and i think i am going to take the boy there, sometime this summer.
miss ya'll!

/smoothie

ps. i look terrible on those pictures.

bazu said...

Carlota, the list I linked to at the top of this post is really comprehensive, with addresses and directions to all of these restaurants. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great trip. I never knew that Berlin was so vegan friendly.

Amey said...

oh my, it all looks so fun and so yummy! I haven't been to berlin since I was 12 years old. I wasn't even vegetarian back then! there is so much vegan exploring to do in this world, so many cool ppkers to meet!

Theresa said...

That looks like such a great place! I'll put it on my list of places I MUST go.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

We both have Berlin on the brain! I'm working on a Berlin post right now!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Okay, my Berlin is similar! http://theurbanhousewife.blogspot.com/2009/04/back-to-berlin-savory-vegan-tastiness.html

KitteeBee said...

bazooooOo,
there's something wrong with that yellow gummi behren. i hope you didn't eat him, cuz he looks like he might have a cancer sprout coming out the top of his head.

sheesh, between you and melisser, i'm a gonna have to hit on berlin one day before i drop.

xo
kittee

Hannah said...

Woahh, I'm drooling over here! I had no idea there were so many amazing vegan eats over in Berlin!

Anonymous said...

Berlin, here I come!!!! Probably this summer.
Kinda funny of some coincidences: in your pictures from Gent you showed one with a lot of bicycles. My boyfriends' bicycle is somewhere in it. And now you went to Berlin, at the same my boyfriends parents were visiting it too.
They gave me already a little tourist guide for Berlin and they told me when they were walking around in the Turkish neighbourhood they were thinking of me, because they saw so many vegetarian food. Is this true?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.